MISSION: TO PROVIDE ATHLETIC PROGRAMS THAT PRODUCE A PRIDEFUL EXPERIENCE FOR ALL AND PREPARE OUR STUDENT-ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN ALL REALMS OF LIFE.
AK SPORTS REPORT
(September 11-16, 2017)
September is in full swing, and this week promises to be an eventful one in many ways! First, the weather from Hurricane Irma may have an impact on schedules early in the week. The forecast has improved overall, so hopefully the worst of it will miss us. Below is the schedule for the upcoming week and a review of last week’s results. We are looking forward to this coming Friday night’s Home Varsity Football game…..especially because we get to thank and recognize our awesome AK Teachers and Staff with our Teacher Appreciation Game! Have a great week AK! PROTECT THE CASTLE!
- FOOTBALL: AK Varsity Football traveled to Charlotte Catholic this past Friday, falling to an eventual score of 38-14. Some tough calls that went against AK helped Catholic break the game open, but very proud of the Knights competing throughout the game. The non-conference schedule comes to an end this week, as AK will host Hough this Friday. Looking for a big Home crowd to support our Knights!!
- JV Football hosted Charlotte Catholic in their Home opener, and after a slow start, competed very hard in an even 2nd half with a strong Catholic team. The Knights fell 21-6 and will travel to Hough this Thursday looking to show continued improvement. Good luck men.
- 9/14 – JV @ Hough (6:00 PM)
- 9/15 – Varsity @ Home vs. Hough (7:00 PM) – Teacher Appreciation Game & South Charlotte Rec. Football Night
- VOLLEYBALL: AK Volleyball had a strong past week, going 3-1 overall, including two conference victories to improve to 3-1 in the SoMeck 7. The Lady Knights also got revenge on Northwest Guilford this past Saturday, who knocked AK out of the State Playoffs last year. Two more conference matches are on the slate this week. Get it done ladies!
- 9/12 – @ Home vs. Berry
- JV – 4:00 PM
- Varsity – 5:30 PM
- 9/14 – @ Olympic
- JV – 4:00 PM
- Varsity – 5:30 PM
- MEN’S SOCCER: AK Men’s Soccer took care of business last week with Varsity and JV getting sweeps over non-conference opponents on consecutive nights. The Knights look to keep that momentum going into SoMeck 7 Conference play beginning this week. The conference opener at Home on Tuesday is a huge one, as Providence will visit The Castle…..followed by a road conference match. Good luck Knights…..conference play starts a new season!
- 9/12 – @ Home vs. Providence
- JV – 4:30 PM
- Varsity – 6:00 PM
- 9/14 - @ West Meck
- WOMEN’S TENNIS: AK Women’s Tennis made quick work of two conference opponents last week and now stand 3-1 in SoMeck 7 play. A huge week lies ahead, with a tough non-conference match to open the week before the Lady Knights host Providence with 1st Place for the conference on the line. Let’s Go Lady Knights!
- 9/11 - @ Marvin Ridge (4:00 PM)
- 9/14 - @ Home vs. Providence (4:00 PM)
- WOMEN’S GOLF: AK Women’s Golf dominated South Meck last week, posting an outstanding team score of 119 strokes. The Lady Knights are 1-0 in SoMeck 7 play and host Olympic this week in another conference match. The non-conference match against Myers Park was cancelled due to weather and may be rescheduled at a later date. Good luck this week ladies!
- 9/12 – Match vs. Olympic @ Providence C.C. (3:00 PM)
IMPORTANT NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- AK Athletic Boosters BBQ Fundraiser
- It’s back!! The Annual AK Athletic Boosters BBQ is up and running. All AK athletic teams participate in this annual fundraiser, with all funds raised going towards helping the athletic boosters meet the needs and wishes of all our teams and student-athletes.
- The ordering process is easier than ever! Please visit the below link to place an order and be ready to enjoy some delicious BBQ from Queen City Q on October 27th (Home Varsity Football vs. Olympic)
- Link to on-line orders: http://www.tfaforms.com/4634933
- Future Knights
- The Football and Cheerleading Future Knights program is back and registration now open. Please visit the below link if you’d like to learn more details and register a Future Knight!
- Student-Athlete Scholarship Opportunities
- NCHSAA Scholarships:
- ATTN Senior Student-Athletes! The NCHSAA offers many opportunities for different scholarships they award. The application period has begun for many of them. Please visit the below link to the NCHSAA web-site if you are interested in learning more about the scholarships available and to apply.
- Wendy’s High School Heisman – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. Our school winner will represent AK onto the State Level and potentially move on to the Regional and National Level. Please contact your head coach or athletic director if any questions: https://www.wendyshighschoolheisman.com/application/
- Liz Murray Scholarship (sponsored by the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club) – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. The Hood Hargett Breakfast Club awards a monthly scholarship throughout the school year, with the first application deadline August 30th. Once your application is submitted, it will remain in the applicant pool for each month for the remainder of the school year. AK has a strong history of winners…..let’s keep it going! Click link below for more information and contact the athletic director if any questions: https://hoodhargettbreakfastclub.com/liz-murray-scholarship/
- AK Athletic Booster Club – 2017-2018 Membership & Season Passes
- Memberships and Season Passes are now available for purchase through the AK Athletic Boosters Club. Games begin soon, so be sure to get your season passes and come support your Knights!! Visit the following link for information and to purchase your 2017-2018 Membership & Season Passes: http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1265553-membership-forms
- 2017 Fall Sports Schedules Posted
- Game schedules for our 2017 Fall Sports teams have been posted on our athletic web-pages. Please visit the following link to view the most up-to-date schedules: http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/ardreykell?id=1319821-ardrey-kell-knights-athletic-schedules
- Also, be sure to frequently view our AK Athletics Master Calendar (Google Calendar) embedded on this page. It is always kept up to date and revised with schedule changes as we move through the season.
AK Corporate Partners
A special thank you to our AK Corporate Sponsors. Your support helps AKHS provide our student-athletes with the best interscholastic athletic experience for our deserving student-athletes! Please thank the following area businesses and corporate sponsors for their commitment to Knights Athletics during the 2017-2018 school-year by supporting their businesses.
Carolina’s Center for Oral & Facial Surgery
Black Finn American Pub
Mr. Rooter Plumbing
Nothing But Noodles
True Pizza at Stonecrest
The Tutoring Club
Carolinas HealthCare System
Huntington Learning Center
Jersey Mike's at Stonecrest
Rita’s Italian Ice
Warrier Family Denistry
Brixx at Blakeney
Firebird’s Wood-Fired Grill
Chic-Fil-A at Blakeney
Providence Country Club
Ballantyne Country Club
Beamer Sports Photography
Carolinas HealthCare System (for Head Athletic Trainer)
OrthoCarolina (for Asst. Athletic Trainer)
American Log Homes
< >If you want to be an AK Athletic Booster Corporate Partner, please visit the following link for information on supporting our AK Athletic programs: http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1285298-corporate-sponsor-forms
< >Don’t forget to follow us online (www.cmsathleticzone.com) and on Twitter (@AKsportsinfo) for up-to-date and late breaking info.
GO AK KNIGHTS!!!