MISSION: TO PROVIDE ATHLETIC PROGRAMS THAT PRODUCE A PRIDEFUL EXPERIENCE FOR ALL AND PREPARE OUR STUDENT-ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN ALL REALMS OF LIFE.
AK SPORTS REPORT
(September 25-30, 2017)
Hard to believe, but the last week of September and end of the first full month of school is here. The first official date of the Fall season was also this past Friday……maybe some cooler Fall temperatures will follow soon! Below are results from last week’s athletic competition, as well as the upcoming schedule for this week. Another busy week ahead at AK….make sure you come out and support your Knights as they continue to compete hard this season. GO KNIGHTS! PROTECT THE CASTLE!
- FOOTBALL: AK Varsity Football fell in the SoMeck 7 Conference opener @ Providence this past Friday. The Football schedule this week has JV on Wednesday and Varsity on Thursday due to accommodations for religious holidays. The Varsity Knights host West Meck in the conference Home opener on Thursday. We are excited to also be hosting the annual Future Knights game for the Football and Cheer programs at Thursday’s Home game!
- JV Football opened up SoMeck 7 play this past week with a Home victory over Providence 21-14. Great job by the young Knights! They look for a 2-0 conference start as they hit the road @ West Meck this week.
- 9/27 – JV @ West Meck (6:00 PM)
- 9/28 – Varsity @ Home vs. West Meck (7:00 PM) – FUTURE KNIGHTS GAME
- VOLLEYBALL: AK Volleyball dropped a tight match against Providence this past week in what was a showdown for 1st Place in the SoMeck 7. Congrats to the JV team that defeated the Panthers in straight sets and continue their unbeaten conference season. The Lady Knights also competed in the annual Serve for a Cure Tournament over the weekend and had a great performance. They were able to raise the 2nd most team funds to donate towards breast cancer research! Way to go ladies! This week, two conference matches are on the slate before a tough tri-match on Saturday against some great non-conference competition.
- 9/26 – @ West Meck
- JV – 4:00 PM
- Varsity – 5:30 PM
- 9/28 - @ Home vs. South Meck
- JV – 4:00 PM
- Varsity – 5:30 PM
- 9/30 – Varsity vs. Hough, Mt. Tabor @ Hough (tri-match)
- MEN’S SOCCER: AK Men’s Soccer split two SoMeck 7 contests this past week and stand at 2-2 after two weeks of conference play. The Knights look for consecutive victories this week as they take on two conference opponents back-to-back on Tuesday and Wednesday. Meanwhile, the JV team looks to continue their strong season and improve on their 6-1-3 overall record. Good luck men!
- 9/26 – @ Berry
- JV – 4:30 PM
- Varsity – 6:00 PM
- 9/27 - @ Home vs. Olympic
- JV – 4:30 PM
- Varsity – 6:00 PM
- WOMEN’S TENNIS: AK Women’s Tennis had a strong week in conference play this past week, going 3-0 and improving to 8-2 in the SoMeck 7 with two conference matches remaining. Only one match on the slate for this week as the Lady Knights travel to Berry. Good luck ladies!
- WOMEN’S GOLF: AK Women’s Golf had an impressive 20 stroke victory over Myers Park to start the week last week! The Lady Knights struggled in a non-conference match against Providence, not scoring their best, and dropped their first match of the year. The Lady Knights have no matches on the schedule this week, as they prep for a strong finish to the season and run at completing a perfect SoMeck 7 season.
- MEN’S & WOMEN’S CROSS COUNTRY: The AK Cross Country teams first hosted a meet @ McAlpine Park this past Wednesday, with the Men taking 1st Place and the Women taking 3rd Place. Then the Knights runners competed in the annual Hare & Hounds Invitational this past Saturday. With some top competition from in and out of the state, the Men had an impressive 6th Place team finish, while the Women had a solid 21st Place team finish. The Knights will run in a regular season meet this week @ Weddington. Good luck AK runners!
- AK hosted meet @ McAlpine: http://nc.milesplit.com/meets/290746/results#.Wcfmk2U9bzI
- Hare & Hounds Invitational: http://nc.milesplit.com/meets/269772/results#.WcfoaGU9bzI
- 9/27 – Regular Season Meet @ Weddington (4:30 PM)
IMPORTANT NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- AK Athletic Boosters BBQ Fundraiser
- It’s back!! The Annual AK Athletic Boosters BBQ is up and running. All AK athletic teams participate in this annual fundraiser, with all funds raised going towards helping the athletic boosters meet the needs and wishes of all our teams and student-athletes.
- The ordering process is easier than ever! Please visit the below link to place an order and be ready to enjoy some delicious BBQ from Queen City Q on October 27th (Home Varsity Football vs. Olympic)
- Link to on-line orders: http://www.tfaforms.com/4634933
- Student-Athlete Scholarship Opportunities
- NCHSAA Scholarships:
- ATTN Senior Student-Athletes! The NCHSAA offers many opportunities for different scholarships they award. The application period has begun for many of them. Please visit the below link to the NCHSAA web-site if you are interested in learning more about the scholarships available and to apply.
- Wendy’s High School Heisman – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. Our school winner will represent AK onto the State Level and potentially move on to the Regional and National Level. Please contact your head coach or athletic director if any questions: https://www.wendyshighschoolheisman.com/application/
- Liz Murray Scholarship (sponsored by the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club) – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. The Hood Hargett Breakfast Club awards a monthly scholarship throughout the school year. Once your application is submitted, it will remain in the applicant pool for each month for the remainder of the school year. AK has a strong history of winners…..let’s keep it going! Click link below for more information and contact the athletic director if any questions: https://hoodhargettbreakfastclub.com/liz-murray-scholarship/
- AK Athletic Booster Club – 2017-2018 Membership & Season Passes
- Memberships and Season Passes are now available for purchase through the AK Athletic Boosters Club. Games begin soon, so be sure to get your season passes and come support your Knights!! Visit the following link for information and to purchase your 2017-2018 Membership & Season Passes: http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1265553-membership-forms
- 2017 Fall Sports Schedules Posted
- Game schedules for our 2017 Fall Sports teams have been posted on our athletic web-pages. Please visit the following link to view the most up-to-date schedules: http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/ardreykell?id=1319821-ardrey-kell-knights-athletic-schedules
- Also, be sure to frequently view our AK Athletics Master Calendar (Google Calendar) embedded on this page. It is always kept up to date and revised with schedule changes as we move through the season.
AK Corporate Partners
A special thank you to our AK Corporate Sponsors. Your support helps AKHS provide our student-athletes with the best interscholastic athletic experience for our deserving student-athletes! Please thank the following area businesses and corporate sponsors for their commitment to Knights Athletics during the 2017-2018 school-year by supporting their businesses.
Carolina’s Center for Oral & Facial Surgery
Mr. Rooter Plumbing
Nothing But Noodles
True Pizza at Stonecrest
The Tutoring Club
Carolinas HealthCare System
Huntington Learning Center
Jersey Mike's at Stonecrest
American Log Homes
Rita’s Italian Ice
Brixx at Blakeney
Firebird’s Wood-Fired Grill
Chic-Fil-A at Blakeney
Providence Country Club
Ballantyne Country Club
Beamer Sports Photography
Carolinas HealthCare System (for Head Athletic Trainer)
OrthoCarolina (for Asst. Athletic Trainer)
< >If you want to be an AK Athletic Booster Corporate Partner, please visit the following link for information on supporting our AK Athletic programs: http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1285298-corporate-sponsor-forms
< >Don’t forget to follow us online (www.cmsathleticzone.com) and on Twitter (@AKsportsinfo) for up-to-date and late breaking info.
GO AK KNIGHTS!!!