MISSION: TO PROVIDE ATHLETIC PROGRAMS THAT PRODUCE A PRIDEFUL EXPERIENCE FOR ALL AND PREPARE STUDENT-ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN LIFE.
AK SPORTS REPORT
(May 13-18, 2019)
Hard to believe, but we are about to reach the mid-point of May and the end of the 2018-2019 school year is quickly approaching. The end of the 2018-2019 AK Sports year will be coming to a close at the end of the upcoming week as well. But not before our Knights have the opportunity to compete for some Championships at the NCHSAA State level…..highlighted by the last Home sporting event of the year this Tuesday night for the NCHSAA 4A West Men’s Lacrosse Regional Championship Game! Can’t wait to see THE CASTLE packed out and bringing the noise to support our M-LAX Knights! GO KNIGHTS! PROTECT THE CASTLE!
- MEN’S LACROSSE: AK Men’s Lacrosse took care of business in Round 2 of the State Playoffs, a dominating performance over Reagan, to set up a matchup with rival Myers Park for the third time this season in the 4A West Regional Semi-Finals. The Knights prevailed over the Mustangs in a gritty performance to win 12-11 to advance to the Regional Championship Game! The Knights will host Greensboro Page this Tuesday night for a chance to go to the NCHSAA State Championship! We need a huge crowd @ THE CASTLE to support our Knights….please pack the stands and bring the noise AK Nation!
- Regional Finals Ticket Information: The NCHSAA is offering digital tickets for the Regional Championship games through GoFan (the same company that does our AK Season Passes). If you wish to purchase and avoid the ticket lines at the gate, please visit this link: https://gofan.co/app/school/NC1661 - Admission is $7.00 and only NCHSAA State passes will be accepted.
NCHSAA State Playoffs:
- 5/14 – 4A West Regional Finals @ Home vs. Greensboro Page (7:00 PM)
- 5/17 or 5/18 – 4A State Championship @ WakeMed Soccer Complex vs. TBD (Time TBD)
- MEN’S GOLF: AK Men’s Golf had a great showing in the NCHSAA 4A West Regional Tournament, bring home the Regional Runner-up trophy and advancing to the NCHSAA 4A State Tournament this Monday and Tuesday at Pinehurst No. 8. Graham Chase lead the Knights at Regionals with a 2-under par 70, followed by Cam Whitney (72), Zane Sullivan (79), Tyler Smith (79), and Jeremy Edmunds (86). Good luck at States this week Knights!
- 5/13 – Day 1 NCHSAA 4A State Tournament @ Pinehurst No. 8
- 5/14 – Day 2 NCHSAA 4A State Tournament @ Pinehurst No. 8
- MEN’S TENNIS: AK Men’s Tennis kept their post-season run in the Dual Team State Playoffs alive with a 5-0 victory over South Caldwell to again advance to the Elite 8! The Knights will travel to Myers Park this Monday for a tough road matchup in the next round. Meanwhile, two Knights competed in the Singles bracket of the NCHSAA State Individuals Tournament (top 16 in the State). Noah Hathout fell in the opening round to a tough #1 seed, while Jonathan Lee advanced to the Round of 8 before eventually falling in a thriller of a match which went to tiebreaks in each set! Great job men and good luck in Dual Team this week!
NCHSAA Dual Team State Playoffs:
- 5/13 – 3rd Round Dual Team State Playoffs @ Myers Park (4:00 PM)
- 5/15 – 4A West Regional Finals vs. TBD @ TBD (4:00 PM)
- 5/18 – 4A State Finals vs. TBD @ Burlington Tennis Center
- MEN’S & WOMEN’S TRACK & FIELD: AK Track & Field showed up big with some great performances over the weekend at the NCHSAA 4A West Regional Championship at Providence. Overall, the Men’s team took Regional Runner-up with a 2nd Place finish and the Women’s team took a strong 3rd Place finish. The Knights had State Qualifying performances all over the place, highlighted by and individual Regional Champion performance by Murphy Smith in the Men’s 3200m run! Many other Knights hit the medal stand…..see the link below for full results. This week the Knights season will culminate at the NCHSAA 4A State Championship meet in Greensboro. Best of luck to all our Knights competing at the State level!
- Men’s & Women’s Regional Results: https://nc.milesplit.com/meets/339321/results/653103/formatted#.XNi5lcKosaI
- 5/18 – NCHSAA 4A State Championship Meet @ N.C. A&T University
- BASEBALL: AK Baseball defeated a solid Glenn team in the 1st Round of the NCHSAA State Playoffs behind a dominating pitching performance by Trey Tujetsch, who struck out 17 for the Win! The Knights then took on #1 Seed Myers Park in the 2nd Round this past Friday in a great environment at South Meck due to poor field conditions at Myers Park. The Knights battled to the end, but eventually fell 9-6 to bring their season to a close. It was a tough ending, but incredibly proud of the men and especially the 14 seniors that have accomplished so much in their time as AK Knights!
- SOFTBALL: AK Softball defeated conference rival South Meck in the opening round of the NCHSAA State Playoffs by a score of 7-6. The game was an back-and-forth thriller, with the Lady Knights coming from behind in extra innings for a walk-off win by scoring 3 runs in the Bottom of the 10th inning! The Lady Knights then ran into a tough matchup in Round 2 on the road at #1 Seed Richmond Senior, falling to the Lady Raiders to end a very strong 16-win season. Congrats on a great season ladies!
- WOMEN’S SOCCER: AK Women’s Soccer used a strong 2nd half to defeat Independence 3-0 in the 1st Round of the NCHSAA State Playoffs. The Lady Knights advanced to the 2nd Round to take on #4 Seed Myers Park at Garinger HS due to poor field conditions at Myers Park. The Lady Knights battled throughout, but weren’t able to put any scoring together, eventually falling 2-0 to bring their season to an end. Still, another strong 15-win season for the program and much to be proud of ladies!
IMPORTANT NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Athlete By Design – Female Student-Athlete Leadership Workshop
- This Monday, May 13th @ Ardrey Kell, Jeremy Boone of Athletic By Design will be conducting a FREE leadership workshop for any and all female student-athletes!This will be a great opportunity to grow as a leader in a great environment provided by one of the best professionals in the business……guaranteed all those that attend will come away better for themselves and their teams!
- 2019 Heart of a Champion Day
- Atrium Health will once again be sponsoring the annual Heart of a Champion Day for all CMS High School students currently enrolled, providing a comprehensive Sports Physical free of charge!
- When? – Saturday, June 1st
- Where? – The site is at an auxiliary service building at the airport, but transportation is provided at the school by activity bus and all participants are required to take the bus.
- Registration is open April 29-May 26 at the following link:www.AtriumHealth.org/Heart-of-a-Champion
- Class of 2019 College Signings
- 2018-2019 Head Coaches Contact Information
- Official Ardrey Kell On-line Spirit Wear Store
AK Corporate Partners
A special thank you to our AK Corporate Sponsors. Your support helps AKHS provide our student-athletes with the best interscholastic athletic experience for our deserving student-athletes! Please thank the following area businesses and corporate sponsors for their commitment to Knights Athletics during the 2018-2019 school-year by supporting their businesses.
The White Group – Keller Williams Realty
Carolina’s Center for Oral & Facial Surgery
Shake Shack at Blakeney
Mr. Rooter Plumbing
Nothing But Noodles
True Pizza at Stonecrest
The Tutoring Club
Jersey Mike's at Stonecrest
Chili’s at Blakeney
Qdoba on 521
Rita’s Italian Ice
Brixx at Blakeney
Firebird’s Wood-Fired Grill
Chic-Fil-A at Blakeney
Providence Country Club
Ballantyne Country Club
Beamer Sports Photography
Atrium Health (for Head Athletic Trainer)
OrthoCarolina (for Asst. Athletic Trainer)
< >If you want to be an AK Athletic Booster Corporate Partner, please visit the following link for information on supporting our AK Athletic programs:http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1285298-corporate-sponsor-forms
< >Don’t forget to follow us online (www.cmsathleticzone.com/ardreykell) and on Twitter (@AKsportsinfo) for up-to-date and late breaking info.