MISSION: TO PROVIDE ATHLETIC PROGRAMS THAT PRODUCE A PRIDEFUL EXPERIENCE FOR ALL AND PREPARE STUDENT-ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN LIFE.
AK SPORTS REPORT
(November 4-9, 2019)
November started off in unbelievable fashion this past week. Winter Sports officially got underway with tryouts and pre-season practices, and Fall Sports continued to bring some hardware back to THE CASTLE! AK Cross Country secured the 2nd and 3rd Regional Titles for AK this Fall, as the Men’s and Women’s teams swept the NCHSAA 4A West Regionals! Meanwhile, Volleyball has made an unbelievable run to the Final Four in the State Playoffs and will compete for a Regional Title this week! It’s going to be an awesome week ahead for our Knights, so we need AK Nation’s full support to be the difference maker! LET’S GO!
GO KNIGHTS! PROTECT THE CASTLE!
- FOOTBALL: AK Football was back in the Win column this week, though not in the way as expected. Catawba Ridge was forced to forfeit Friday’s Varsity game after their team was struck with legitimate health concerns. The Knights moved to 9-1 overall on the season, 5-0 in conference, as they head into the final week of the regular season. AK will travel to Providence this week in a huge rivalry matchup, looking to secure an outright SoMeck 7 Conference Championship. The JV Knights also had their game cancelled this past week due to the storms that came through on Thursday night. They look to complete their undefeated season at Home against Providence this coming Thursday……..let’s get a big crowd at THE CASTLE to support the young Knights as they chase a perfect season!
- 11/7 – JV @ Home vs. Providence (6:00 PM)
- 11/8 – Varsity @ Providence (7:00 PM)
- VOLLEYBALL: AK Volleyball had a thrilling week, as they began play in the NCHSAA State Playoffs with a Home victory over Davie County 3-1 in the 2nd Round. In Round 3, the Lady Knights traveled to rival Providence, the #1 Seed in the West Region. After a slow start in the 1st Set, AK stormed back and dominated rest of the way, defeating the Panthers in straight sets 3-0! Next up was a road trip to #4 Seed West Forsyth in the Elite 8. The Lady Knights continued their hot streak, playing some great team Volleyball to win in straight sets again to advance to the Final Four! AK will travel to Northwest Guilford on Tuesday for the NCHSAA 4A West Regional Finals. The NCHSAA has made online digital ticketing available through Hudl GoFan (same platform we use for our season passes). If you’d like to get your tickets in advance, they can be purchased at the following link: https://gofan.co/app/school/NC1661/Volleyball
NCHSAA 4A State Playoffs:
- 11/5 – Regional Finals @ NW Guilford (6:00 PM)
- 11/9 – State Championship vs. TBD (Time TBD)
- MEN’S SOCCER: AK Men’s Soccer finished the regular season strong with two conference victories to take 3rd Place outright in the SoMeck 7 Conference at 8-4. The Knights take a 12-5-3 overall record into the NCHSAA State Playoffs this week. Seeding and brackets will be released Monday to find out who and where AK will be playing in the 1st Round on Wednesday. Good luck in the post-season Knights! Also, congrats to the JV team on a great season, as they close at 15-2-2 overall!
NCHSAA 4A State Playoffs:
- 11/4 – Seeding & Brackets Released
- 11/6 – 1st Round vs. TBD (Time TBD)
- 11/9 – 2nd Round vs. TBD (Time TBD)
- MEN’S & WOMEN’S CROSS COUNTRY: AK Cross Country dominated at the NCHSAA 4A West Regional Championships over the weekend at McAlpine Park, sweeping both the Men’s and Women’s Titles! The Women’s team was led by All-Region performances from Jenna Thornton (3rd), Giselle Russi (6th), Taylor Fenton (8th), Caitlin Peck (10th) and only two spots out of All-Region, Anna Scott (12th). The Men’s team was led by Individual Regional Champion Murphy Smith (1st), Regional Runner-up Steven Sobus (2nd) and other All-Region performances by Steven Smith (5th), Nate David (7th), and Charlie Walker (9th). This week the Knights will compete in the NCHSAA State Championships on Saturday. Let’s go AK!
- 11/9 – NCHSAA 4A State Championship Meet @ Ivey M. Redmon Park (Kernersville, NC)
- Men – 2:00 PM
- Women – 3:00 PM
- WOMEN’S TENNIS: AK Women’s Tennis saw a great season come to an end in the Round of 8 of the NCHSAA Dual Team State Playoffs, falling to Myers Park in the 3rd Round. Still, another phenomenal year by the Lady Knights, who finished with a 15-2 overall record and a perfect undefeated conference record to claim the SoMeck 7 Conference Title! Way to go Lady Knights!
- WOMEN’S GOLF: AK Women’s Golf followed up their Regional Championship with a strong showing in the NCHSAA State Championship Tournament. The Lady Knights used a great Day 2 to move into a Top 5 State Finish at 4th Place overall. Nicole Nash (77, 77), Hannah Lindemann (81, 77) and Shea Smith (82, 78) led the way for AK. Congrats on a great season Lady Knights!
IMPORTANT NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Winter Sports Pre-Season Parent Meeting
- Tuesday, November 12th – 6:00 PM in Main Gym
- Mandatory for all Winter student-athletes and at least one parent/guardian
- Fall College Signing Period Ceremony
- Wednesday, Novemeber 13th – 7:45 AM in Auditorium
- The first signing period of the school year begins on November 13th.AK Athletics will have our first signing ceremony to celebrate our Senior student-athletes that have committed to continue their academic and athletic career at the inter-collegiate level
- Please contact your head coach or Coach Knab ASAP if you wish to participate in the ceremony.
- 2019-2020 Head Coaches Contact Information
- 2019-2020 Season Passes & AK Athletic Boosters Membership
- 2019-2020 Season Passes and AKABC Membership are now available for purchase through Huddle GoFan digital ticketing.Season passes get admission to all Home regular season athletic events throughout the year.Please visit the link below to get started and ready to cheer your Knights on all season long!
- Official Ardrey Kell On-line Spirit Wear Store
- Visit the official on-line spirit wear store for the Ardrey Kell Knights and get decked out in some great gear to support your Knights for the upcoming season.New gear for the 2019-2020 school year is now available and you can customize your gear with almost endless design options!Visit the link below or click on the banner on our main athletic web-page on the CMSathleticzone site.
- 2019-2020 AK Athletic Forms Page
- Be sure to visit the AK Athletic Forms page on our CMSathleticzone web-site to get all the information needed for athletic participation, including the AK on-line athletic pre-participation packet, which is required for all student-athletes.Link to the page is provided below.
- Also, be sure to frequently view our AK Athletics Master Calendar (Google Calendar) embedded on this page.It is always kept up to date and revised with schedule changes as we move through the season.
- Student-Athlete Scholarship Opportunities
- NCHSAA Scholarships:
- ATTN Senior Student-Athletes!The NCHSAA offers many opportunities for different scholarships they award.The application period has begun for many of them.Please visit the below link to the NCHSAA web-site if you are interested in learning more about the scholarships available and to apply.
- Liz Murray Scholarship (sponsored by the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club) – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. The Hood Hargett Breakfast Club awards a monthly scholarship throughout the school year, with the first application deadline September 3rd. Once your application is submitted, it will remain in the applicant pool for each month for the remainder of the school year. AK has a strong history of winners…..let’s keep it going! Click link below for more information and contact the athletic director if any questions: https://hoodhargettbreakfastclub.com/liz-murray-scholarship/
November Community Spotlight - Perma Trak, Jason and Nicole Philbin
Last month Jason and Nicole Philbin, whose 2 sons both graduated from AK, donated and provided a Cross Country and Track Records Board located in the end zone of the stadium for all to see. Jason Philbin said, "Our goal for providing the XC and Track records board was to bring attention to the sport/program as well as recognizing success and inspiring future success. This was a way to give back to AK for the wonderful experience both our boys had by participating in the XC and Track programs throughout their high school career."
The Philbins are another AK sponsor that comes from within our school family. Originally from Louisville, KY, Jason Philbin went to Trinity High School, which is an all male Catholic school, and ran cross country and track all 4 years. He graduated from the University of Kentucky with a masters in Civil Engineering and married his wife Nicole right after graduating in 1993, earning his registration as a professional engineer in Dayton, Ohio soon after that.
Jason remembers, "In 1997 we moved to Charlotte. Our sons were just beginning at AK when we started our company PermaTrak in 2010. Perma Trak designs and manufacturers concrete boardwalk systems and to date we have developed 2 patents."
Jason is still an avid runner and the Philbin family feels strongly about continuing to support running at AK though the donation of a records board. He now participates in Iron Man triathlons and qualified and participated in the Worlds Championship in 2019 in Nice, France.
Jason reports, "AK prepared our boys well for the future, socially as well as academically. Coach Knab and Principal Switzer were very supportive and easy to work with. We also appreciated the friendships, support and the participation of the athletes and their families. We encourage future AK athletes to reach for the stars."
AK Corporate Partners
A special thank you to our AK Corporate Sponsors. Your support helps AKHS provide our student-athletes with the best interscholastic athletic experience for our deserving student-athletes! Please thank the following area businesses and corporate sponsors for their commitment to Knights Athletics during the 2019-2020 school-year by supporting their businesses.
The White Group – Keller Williams Realty
Carolina’s Center for Oral & Facial Surgery
Shake Shack at Blakeney
Nothing But Noodles
True Craft Pizza at Stonecrest
Jersey Mike's at Stonecrest
Ted’s Montana Grill
Becca Rouse Photography, LLC
Qdoba Mexican Eats
Rita’s Italian Ice
Firebird’s Wood-Fired Grill
Chic-Fil-A at Blakeney
Providence Country Club
Ballantyne Country Club
Beamer Sports Photography
Atrium Health (for Head Athletic Trainer)
OrthoCarolina (for Asst. Athletic Trainer)
< >If you want to be an AK Athletic Booster Corporate Partner, please visit the following link for information on supporting our AK Athletic programs:http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1285298-corporate-sponsor-forms
< >Don’t forget to follow us online (www.cmsathleticzone.com) and on Twitter (@AKsportsinfo) for up-to-date and late breaking info.
GO AK KNIGHTS!