MISSION: TO PROVIDE ATHLETIC PROGRAMS THAT PRODUCE A PRIDEFUL EXPERIENCE FOR ALL AND PREPARE STUDENT-ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN LIFE.
AK SPORTS REPORT
(November 11-16, 2019)
As we hit the mid-way point of November this week, Winter Sports contests are only a week away! Meanwhile, most Fall Sports have concluded their season, with only Football continuing into the State Playoffs this week. It’s been a great athletic year so far, with Fall Sports bringing home 5 Conference Championships and 4 Regional Championships! AK Volleyball also added a 4A State Runner-up finish in an exciting post-season run! Good luck to AK Football in the start of post-season play and looking forward to seeing what our Winter Sports can accomplish in the season ahead!
GO KNIGHTS! PROTECT THE CASTLE!
- FOOTBALL: AK Football completed a stellar regular season with a dominating 48-6 road victory over rival Providence to secure a second straight SoMeck 7 Conference Title and first outright in school history! The Knights finish the regular season 10-1 overall and undefeated in conference play at 6-0. AK has earned the #5 Seed in the 4AA West Region and will host in the 1st Round of the NCHSAA State Playoffs this Friday @ THE CASTLE! Also, a big congrats to our JV Football team on completing an undefeated season at 9-0 after a 38-29 victory over Providence! Great season AK…….looking forward to more to come in the post-season!
- 11/15 – #5 AK @ Home vs. #12 Independence – 1st Round State Playoffs (7:30 PM)
- VOLLEYBALL: AK Volleyball brought Home the NCHSAA 4A West Regional Title after a strong performance on the road, defeating Northwest Guilford 3-1 to punch their ticket to the State Championship Game! The Lady Knights took on a very strong Green Hope team in the State Finals, getting down early 2-0 after the first two sets. But the ladies showed tremendous grit battling back and taking the 3rd set and held the lead mid-way through the 4th set. AK was almost able to push the match to a deciding 5th set, but fell 3-1 in the end. Congratulations to our Volleyball Lady Knights on an amazing season and post-season run that ended with an NCHSAA 4A State Runner-up finish!
- MEN’S SOCCER: AK Men’s Soccer began NCHSAA post-season play with a thrilling Home victory over Butler that was decided in Penalty Kicks after a 1-1 tie at the end of regulation and two overtime periods. The Knights came out on top in PK’s 5-4 to set up a 2nd Round matchup at #1 seeded RJ Reynolds. AK came out strong and took a 1-0 lead into halftime, but after a strong effort fell in the final score 2-1. Congrats to the Knights on a well-played season!
- MEN’S & WOMEN’S CROSS COUNTRY: AK Cross Country concluded a great season competing in the NCHSAA 4A State Championship meet over the weekend. The Men’s team took a Top 10 finish, placing 6th Place overall and very close to a Top 5 finish, with scoring very tight between places 3-6. Individual Regional Champ Murphy Smith was the top finisher for the Knights, taking 4th Place overall in the race! Other top finishers for the Knights were Steven Sobus (39th), Charlie Walker (42nd), Steven Smith (45th), and Nate David (62nd). The Women’s team also had a strong performance, taking a Top 10 overall finish in 9th Place! Top finishers for the Lady Knights were Giselle Russi (30th), Caitlin Peck (43rd), Taylor Fenton (48th), Jenna Thornton (59th) and Anna Scott (107th). Congrats to all our AK Runners on a phenomenal effort all season long!
- NCHSAA 4A State Championship Meet Results: https://nc.milesplit.com/meets/339489/results#.XcmRncKotYd
- Winter Sports Pre-Season Parent Meeting
- We are only one week away from the NCHSAA first official contest date for Winter Sports on Nov. 18th.In final pre-season preparations this week, all Winter Sports teams must attend the required Pre-Season Parent Meeting
- Tuesday, November 12th – 6:00 PM in Main Gym
- Mandatory for all Winter student-athletes and at least one parent/guardian
IMPORTANT NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Fall College Signing Period Ceremony
- Wednesday, Novemeber 13th – 7:45 AM in Auditorium
- The first signing period of the school year begins on November 13th.AK Athletics will have our first signing ceremony to celebrate our Senior student-athletes that have committed to continue their academic and athletic career at the inter-collegiate level
- Please contact your head coach or Coach Knab ASAP if you wish to participate in the ceremony.
- 2019-2020 Head Coaches Contact Information
- 2019-2020 Season Passes & AK Athletic Boosters Membership
- 2019-2020 Season Passes and AKABC Membership are now available for purchase through Huddle GoFan digital ticketing.Season passes get admission to all Home regular season athletic events throughout the year.Please visit the link below to get started and ready to cheer your Knights on all season long!
- Official Ardrey Kell On-line Spirit Wear Store
- Visit the official on-line spirit wear store for the Ardrey Kell Knights and get decked out in some great gear to support your Knights for the upcoming season.New gear for the 2019-2020 school year is now available and you can customize your gear with almost endless design options!Visit the link below or click on the banner on our main athletic web-page on the CMSathleticzone site.
- 2019-2020 AK Athletic Forms Page
- Be sure to visit the AK Athletic Forms page on our CMSathleticzone web-site to get all the information needed for athletic participation, including the AK on-line athletic pre-participation packet, which is required for all student-athletes.Link to the page is provided below.
- Also, be sure to frequently view our AK Athletics Master Calendar (Google Calendar) embedded on this page.It is always kept up to date and revised with schedule changes as we move through the season.
- Student-Athlete Scholarship Opportunities
- NCHSAA Scholarships:
- ATTN Senior Student-Athletes!The NCHSAA offers many opportunities for different scholarships they award.The application period has begun for many of them.Please visit the below link to the NCHSAA web-site if you are interested in learning more about the scholarships available and to apply.
- Liz Murray Scholarship (sponsored by the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club) – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. The Hood Hargett Breakfast Club awards a monthly scholarship throughout the school year, with the first application deadline September 3rd. Once your application is submitted, it will remain in the applicant pool for each month for the remainder of the school year. AK has a strong history of winners…..let’s keep it going! Click link below for more information and contact the athletic director if any questions: https://hoodhargettbreakfastclub.com/liz-murray-scholarship/
November Community Spotlight - Perma Trak, Jason and Nicole Philbin
Last month Jason and Nicole Philbin, whose 2 sons both graduated from AK, donated and provided a Cross Country and Track Records Board located in the end zone of the stadium for all to see. Jason Philbin said, "Our goal for providing the XC and Track records board was to bring attention to the sport/program as well as recognizing success and inspiring future success. This was a way to give back to AK for the wonderful experience both our boys had by participating in the XC and Track programs throughout their high school career."
The Philbins are another AK sponsor that comes from within our school family. Originally from Louisville, KY, Jason Philbin went to Trinity High School, which is an all male Catholic school, and ran cross country and track all 4 years. He graduated from the University of Kentucky with a masters in Civil Engineering and married his wife Nicole right after graduating in 1993, earning his registration as a professional engineer in Dayton, Ohio soon after that.
Jason remembers, "In 1997 we moved to Charlotte. Our sons were just beginning at AK when we started our company PermaTrak in 2010. Perma Trak designs and manufacturers concrete boardwalk systems and to date we have developed 2 patents."
Jason is still an avid runner and the Philbin family feels strongly about continuing to support running at AK though the donation of a records board. He now participates in Iron Man triathlons and qualified and participated in the Worlds Championship in 2019 in Nice, France.
Jason reports, "AK prepared our boys well for the future, socially as well as academically. Coach Knab and Principal Switzer were very supportive and easy to work with. We also appreciated the friendships, support and the participation of the athletes and their families. We encourage future AK athletes to reach for the stars."
AK Corporate Partners
A special thank you to our AK Corporate Sponsors. Your support helps AKHS provide our student-athletes with the best interscholastic athletic experience for our deserving student-athletes! Please thank the following area businesses and corporate sponsors for their commitment to Knights Athletics during the 2019-2020 school-year by supporting their businesses.
The White Group – Keller Williams Realty
Carolina’s Center for Oral & Facial Surgery
Shake Shack at Blakeney
Nothing But Noodles
True Craft Pizza at Stonecrest
Jersey Mike's at Stonecrest
Ted’s Montana Grill
Becca Rouse Photography, LLC
Qdoba Mexican Eats
Rita’s Italian Ice
Firebird’s Wood-Fired Grill
Chic-Fil-A at Blakeney
Providence Country Club
Ballantyne Country Club
Beamer Sports Photography
Atrium Health (for Head Athletic Trainer)
OrthoCarolina (for Asst. Athletic Trainer)
< >If you want to be an AK Athletic Booster Corporate Partner, please visit the following link for information on supporting our AK Athletic programs:http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1285298-corporate-sponsor-forms
< >Don’t forget to follow us online (www.cmsathleticzone.com) and on Twitter (@AKsportsinfo) for up-to-date and late breaking info.
GO AK KNIGHTS!