MISSION: TO PROVIDE ATHLETIC PROGRAMS THAT PRODUCE A PRIDEFUL EXPERIENCE FOR ALL AND PREPARE STUDENT-ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN LIFE.
AK SPORTS REPORT
(December 2-7, 2019)
We hope that everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving Holiday and break with family and loved ones! As we hit December and the last month of 2019, only three weeks of school remain before the Winter break. Winter Sports action is heating up for our teams, with big conference match-ups cranking up over the coming weeks. Also, a special thank you to our AK Athletic Boosters December Community Spotlight, which has been updated in this week’s edition to recognize one of our newest sponsors. Have a great first week of December AK!
GO KNIGHTS! PROTECT THE CASTLE!
- MEN’S BASKETBALL: AK Men’s Basketball improved to 3-0 before the Thanksgiving break with an impressive road victory over Weddington. The Knights then took on a very strong Cannon School squad in the marquee match-up of the Charlotte Hoops Challenge over the weekend. The Knights battled back and forth with the Cougars in a great second half, but fell in a close contest in the end. AK takes a 3-1 overall record into the upcoming week, as they take on two non-conference opponents, including a big one at Home against Independence to start the week. Good luck men!
- 12/3 – @ Home vs. Independence
- JV – 4:30 PM
- Varsity – 7:30 PM
- 12/6 – @ Marvin Ridge
- JV – 5:00 PM
- Varsity – 8:00 PM
- WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: AK Women’s Basketball had some tough luck before the holiday break, dropping back-to-back games by 1 point each, including a thrilling Double OT game against a strong Cuthbertson team. However, the Lady Knights bounced back with a big-time win over Cannon School in the Charlotte Hoops Challenge over the weekend and now stand 3-2 overall in the early season. Another big week lies ahead for the Lady Knights, as they take on three tough non-conference opponents……another week of great opportunities to compete! Good luck ladies!
- 12/3 – @ Home vs. Independence
- JV – 3:30 PM
- Varsity – 6:00 PM
- 12/6 – @ Marvin Ridge
- JV – 4:00 PM
- Varsity – 6:30 PM
- 12/7 – Varsity @ Hickory Ridge (5:30 PM) – LBI Best of Carolinas
- MEN’S & WOMEN’S SWIM & DIVE: AK Swim & Dive will get back in action after the break with a huge dual Swimming meet match-up against SoMeck 7 Conference rival South Meck on Wednesday night. The divers will also be in action this week with a meet on Saturday. Best of luck to our Aqua Knights in these big meets this week!
- 12/4 – Swim Meet vs. South Meck @ Providence HS Pool (6:00 PM)
- 12/7 – Diving Meet @ HFFA (9:00 AM)
- WRESTLING: AK Wrestling will be back in action this week looking to improve to 2-0 in SoMeck 7 Conference Dual Team competition at West Meck before competing in the annual Jim Hayes Invitational during the upcoming weekend. Good luck on the mats this week Knights!
- 12/4 – Dual Match @ West Meck (6:30 PM)
- 12/7 – Jim Hayes Invitational @ East Meck (9:00 AM)
IMPORTANT NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Jimmy Core Foundation Student-Athlete Scholarship:
- An award and $1,000 scholarship will be given to a senior student-athlete who demonstrates outstanding leadership and character in athletics and in the classroom. If you currently teach or have taught a senior student-athlete that continues Jimmy's legacy of kindness and excellence, please consider writing a brief nomination on his/her behalf. Nomination forms can be found in the mailroom and are due this Friday, December 6. The award will be presented at halftime of the home basketball game on Friday, December 13 against South Meck.
- 2019-2020 Head Coaches Contact Information
- 2019-2020 Season Passes & AK Athletic Boosters Membership
- 2019-2020 Season Passes and AKABC Membership are now available for purchase through Huddle GoFan digital ticketing.Season passes get admission to all Home regular season athletic events throughout the year.Please visit the link below to get started and ready to cheer your Knights on all season long!
- Official Ardrey Kell On-line Spirit Wear Store
- Visit the official on-line spirit wear store for the Ardrey Kell Knights and get decked out in some great gear to support your Knights for the upcoming season.New gear for the 2019-2020 school year is now available and you can customize your gear with almost endless design options!Visit the link below or click on the banner on our main athletic web-page on the CMSathleticzone site.
- 2019-2020 AK Athletic Forms Page
- Be sure to visit the AK Athletic Forms page on our CMSathleticzone web-site to get all the information needed for athletic participation, including the AK on-line athletic pre-participation packet, which is required for all student-athletes.Link to the page is provided below.
- Also, be sure to frequently view our AK Athletics Master Calendar (Google Calendar) embedded on this page.It is always kept up to date and revised with schedule changes as we move through the season.
- Student-Athlete Scholarship Opportunities
- NCHSAA Scholarships:
- ATTN Senior Student-Athletes!The NCHSAA offers many opportunities for different scholarships they award.The application period has begun for many of them.Please visit the below link to the NCHSAA web-site if you are interested in learning more about the scholarships available and to apply.
- Liz Murray Scholarship (sponsored by the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club) – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. The Hood Hargett Breakfast Club awards a monthly scholarship throughout the school year, with the first application deadline September 3rd. Once your application is submitted, it will remain in the applicant pool for each month for the remainder of the school year. AK has a strong history of winners…..let’s keep it going! Click link below for more information and contact the athletic director if any questions: https://hoodhargettbreakfastclub.com/liz-murray-scholarship/
December Community Spotlight - Sylvan Learning of Ballantyne
Welcome to Ardrey Kell's newest AKABC sponsor - Sylvan Learning! Directors Brandi
Rhodes and Rachel Cummings are excited to reach out to AK families and students to build confidence in academics and ACT/SAT scores through high-quality tutoring with proven results.
Brandi Rhodes is a local girl, having grown up in Clover, SC. After graduating from USC in Columbia, she went on to get her Masters in Biotechnology. Brandi explains, "I wanted to be prepared for a STEM driven world." Brandi is married with 2 young children Evian (3 yrs old) and Daniel (4 mo. old).
Rachel Cummings grew up in VA and graduated from Va. Tech. She studied abroad for her Masters degree in Malta! (An island off the Italian coast between Europe and Africa.) She is married with a 14 yr. old daughter. Rachel advises, "I recommend that students take advantage of studying abroad. These experiences help me every day when meeting with people by communicating more efficiently and enhancing my view on education in other societies. Pursuing education internationally helped foster my own independence as a young professional."
Sylvan Learning of Ballantyne can help AK students prepare more effectively for the ACT and SAT testing as well as help families navigate the complicated college application process.
Brandi says, "We offer guidance to students in writing their college application essays and help alleviate some of the application anxiety."
Rachel adds, "We have also helped many first generation families make sense of the University application steps and requirements."
Brandi says, "Sylvan Learning offers free Diagnostic testing for ACT and SAT. Students can take a sample test on site and Sylvan will meet with the family to review the results, strengths and weaknesses, and advise on how to improve."
Rachel offers, "The Sylvan Study Skills program teaches students how to study to prepare for better success in college."
This spring - Look for the Sylvan 15-hour study package raffle at the Spring Sports Mandatory Parent meeting! Four scholarship packages of 15 hours ea. (a $750 value for each scholarship) will be raffled off at the spring meeting to 4 lucky students to get a leg up on their college path.
AK Corporate Partners
A special thank you to our AK Corporate Sponsors. Your support helps AKHS provide our student-athletes with the best interscholastic athletic experience for our deserving student-athletes! Please thank the following area businesses and corporate sponsors for their commitment to Knights Athletics during the 2019-2020 school-year by supporting their businesses.
The White Group – Keller Williams Realty
Carolina’s Center for Oral & Facial Surgery
Shake Shack at Blakeney
Nothing But Noodles
True Craft Pizza at Stonecrest
Jersey Mike's at Stonecrest
Ted’s Montana Grill
Becca Rouse Photography, LLC
Qdoba Mexican Eats
Rita’s Italian Ice
Firebird’s Wood-Fired Grill
Chic-Fil-A at Blakeney
Providence Country Club
Ballantyne Country Club
Beamer Sports Photography
Atrium Health (for Head Athletic Trainer)
OrthoCarolina (for Asst. Athletic Trainer)
< >If you want to be an AK Athletic Booster Corporate Partner, please visit the following link for information on supporting our AK Athletic programs:http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1285298-corporate-sponsor-forms
< >Don’t forget to follow us online (www.cmsathleticzone.com) and on Twitter (@AKsportsinfo) for up-to-date and late breaking info.
GO AK KNIGHTS!