MISSION: TO PROVIDE ATHLETIC PROGRAMS THAT PRODUCE A PRIDEFUL EXPERIENCE FOR ALL AND PREPARE STUDENT-ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN LIFE.
AK SPORTS REPORT
(Winter Break Edition 2019-2020)
It is very hard to believe, but no more school days in the 2019 calendar year! As we reflect back on another memorable year of AK Athletics, it is important to thank all the stakeholders in our great community that make Ardrey Kell what it is. From our awesome AK Athletic Booster Club, to our coaching staff, administration, parents, community partners and, most importantly, our student-athletes, we are able to provide first class athletic programs that produce great pride in our school community. With that, we want to wish all of AK Knight Nation a wonderful Holiday Break with family and loved ones and best wishes on a Happy New Year! Below is our Holiday Edition of the AK Sports Report……..next one sent out will be the first of 2020! Have a great break and good luck to our Winter Sports teams that will still be competing.
GO KNIGHTS! PROTECT THE CASTLE!
- MEN’S BASKETBALL: AK Men’s Basketball continued their strong play with two important victories over SoMeck 7 Conference opponents Harding and West Meck. The Knights improved to 10-1 overall on the season and 3-0 in conference play. AK will compete in the Blue Star HS Invitational in Rock Hill, SC over the Winter Break, facing some great competition from other parts of the Nation. Good luck men!
Blue Star HS Invitational Tournament (Varsity) @ Rock Hill Sports & Event Center:
- 12/27 – vs. Tampa Catholic (6:00 PM)
- 12/28 – vs. TBD (Time TBD)
- 12/30 – vs. TBD (Time TBD)
- WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: AK Women’s Basketball pushed their winning streak to six games with large victories over Harding and West Meck in SoMeck 7 Conference play. The Lady Knights improved to 9-3 overall on the season, 3-0 in conference play. Over the break, the Lady Knights will travel to Virginia for a Holiday tournament and a tough test against some strong competition. Keep playing tough ladies!
Be Better Classic Tournament (Varsity) @ Patrick Henry High School (Roanoke, VA):
- 12/27 – vs. Patrick Henry (8:00 PM)
- 12/28 – vs. TBD (Time TBD)
- MEN’S & WOMEN’S SWIM & DIVE: Both Men’s and Women’s Swimming & Diving teams had their last swim meet before the Winter Break, defeating Butler, Garinger and Porter Ridge. The Women’s team improved to 9-1 on the season, while the Men’s team moved to 10-0 Final scores were:
- AK 225 – Porter Ridge 50
- AK 223 – Butler 52
- AK 229 – Garinger 5
- Event Winners: Emily Brown, Abby Bocian, Oceane Hangyas, Taylyn Adams, Teresa Ivan, Kylie Brewster, Gabriella Spina
- AK 222 – Porter Ridge 45
- AK 224 – Butler 28
- AK 223 – Garinger 8
- Event Winners: Bastian Mazarguil, Davis Hull, Sam Bundy, Gaige Ryan, Jake Royster, Scott Berry, Davis Freeman
- AK Swim & Dive will be back in action after the New Year, as they host rival Providence at the MCAC in a huge SoMeck 7 Conference showdown!
- 1/3 – Swim Meet vs. Providence @ MCAC-Uptown (7:00 PM)
- WRESTLING: AK Wrestling dominated Berry in a dual match contest on Wednesday, improving to 2-1 in SoMeck 7 Conference Dual Match competition. The Knights then competed in a strong field at the E.B. Memorial Class at Mallard Creek over the weekend……..congrats to Anthony Farrand on taking 1st Place in the 145 lbs. weight class! The Knights will be busy over the Winter Break, competing in another big individuals tournament and also a dual team tournament. Good luck on the mats over the break Knights!
- 12/27 – Day 1 Holy Angels Tournament @ Bojangles Coliseum
- 12/28 – Day 2 Holy Angels Tournament @ Bojangles Coliseum
- 1/4 – Pirate Duals Tournament @ Porter Ridge
IMPORTANT NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- AK Athletic Boosters Senior Student-Athlete Scholarships:
- The Ardrey Kell High School Athletic Booster Club (AKABC) will award ten (10) $1,000 Scholarships in May 2020. Applications will be available to seniors in February of 2020. The deadline for scholarship applications will be in March 2019. If you are interested in being notified when the application process begins, please complete this form to be added to the AKABC Scholarship Committee’s email distribution list -https://forms.gle/bYspsXakYdvCEqL87.
- These scholarships will be awarded to AKHS senior student-athletes based on "Excellence in Academics", "Excellence and Leadership in Athletics" and "Contributions to the AKHS Student-Athlete Community". These scholarships will assist AKHS student-athletes in paying to attend a 2-year or 4-year college in the fall of 2020.
- Please note:
- You or a family member must be an active 2019-20 AKABC member to be considered by the AKABC Scholarship Selection Committee. It is NOT too late to join and memberships start at $60 per year!
- Each scholarship is paid directly to the recipient's college or university in the fall of 2020. Students who receive full scholarships are not eligible.
- Questions? Please contact a member of the AKABC Scholarship Committee firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2019-2020 Head Coaches Contact Information
- 2019-2020 Season Passes & AK Athletic Boosters Membership
- 2019-2020 Season Passes and AKABC Membership are now available for purchase through Huddle GoFan digital ticketing.Season passes get admission to all Home regular season athletic events throughout the year.Please visit the link below to get started and ready to cheer your Knights on all season long!
- Official Ardrey Kell On-line Spirit Wear Store
- Visit the official on-line spirit wear store for the Ardrey Kell Knights and get decked out in some great gear to support your Knights for the upcoming season.New gear for the 2019-2020 school year is now available and you can customize your gear with almost endless design options!Visit the link below or click on the banner on our main athletic web-page on the CMSathleticzone site.
- 2019-2020 AK Athletic Forms Page
- Be sure to visit the AK Athletic Forms page on our CMSathleticzone web-site to get all the information needed for athletic participation, including the AK on-line athletic pre-participation packet, which is required for all student-athletes.Link to the page is provided below.
- Also, be sure to frequently view our AK Athletics Master Calendar (Google Calendar) embedded on this page.It is always kept up to date and revised with schedule changes as we move through the season.
- Student-Athlete Scholarship Opportunities
- NCHSAA Scholarships:
- ATTN Senior Student-Athletes!The NCHSAA offers many opportunities for different scholarships they award.The application period has begun for many of them.Please visit the below link to the NCHSAA web-site if you are interested in learning more about the scholarships available and to apply.
- Liz Murray Scholarship (sponsored by the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club) – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. The Hood Hargett Breakfast Club awards a monthly scholarship throughout the school year, with the first application deadline September 3rd. Once your application is submitted, it will remain in the applicant pool for each month for the remainder of the school year. AK has a strong history of winners…..let’s keep it going! Click link below for more information and contact the athletic director if any questions: https://hoodhargettbreakfastclub.com/liz-murray-scholarship/
December Community Spotlight - Sylvan Learning of Ballantyne
Welcome to Ardrey Kell's newest AKABC sponsor - Sylvan Learning! Directors Brandi
Rhodes and Rachel Cummings are excited to reach out to AK families and students to build confidence in academics and ACT/SAT scores through high-quality tutoring with proven results.
Brandi Rhodes is a local girl, having grown up in Clover, SC. After graduating from USC in Columbia, she went on to get her Masters in Biotechnology. Brandi explains, "I wanted to be prepared for a STEM driven world." Brandi is married with 2 young children Evian (3 yrs old) and Daniel (4 mo. old).
Rachel Cummings grew up in VA and graduated from Va. Tech. She studied abroad for her Masters degree in Malta! (An island off the Italian coast between Europe and Africa.) She is married with a 14 yr. old daughter. Rachel advises, "I recommend that students take advantage of studying abroad. These experiences help me every day when meeting with people by communicating more efficiently and enhancing my view on education in other societies. Pursuing education internationally helped foster my own independence as a young professional."
Sylvan Learning of Ballantyne can help AK students prepare more effectively for the ACT and SAT testing as well as help families navigate the complicated college application process.
Brandi says, "We offer guidance to students in writing their college application essays and help alleviate some of the application anxiety."
Rachel adds, "We have also helped many first generation families make sense of the University application steps and requirements."
Brandi says, "Sylvan Learning offers free Diagnostic testing for ACT and SAT. Students can take a sample test on site and Sylvan will meet with the family to review the results, strengths and weaknesses, and advise on how to improve."
Rachel offers, "The Sylvan Study Skills program teaches students how to study to prepare for better success in college."
This spring - Look for the Sylvan 15-hour study package raffle at the Spring Sports Mandatory Parent meeting! Four scholarship packages of 15 hours ea. (a $750 value for each scholarship) will be raffled off at the spring meeting to 4 lucky students to get a leg up on their college path.
AK Corporate Partners
A special thank you to our AK Corporate Sponsors. Your support helps AKHS provide our student-athletes with the best interscholastic athletic experience for our deserving student-athletes! Please thank the following area businesses and corporate sponsors for their commitment to Knights Athletics during the 2019-2020 school-year by supporting their businesses.
The White Group – Keller Williams Realty
Carolina’s Center for Oral & Facial Surgery
Shake Shack at Blakeney
Nothing But Noodles
True Craft Pizza at Stonecrest
Jersey Mike's at Stonecrest
Ted’s Montana Grill
Sylvan Learning of Charlotte & Ballantyne
Becca Rouse Photography, LLC
Qdoba Mexican Eats
Rita’s Italian Ice
Firebird’s Wood-Fired Grill
Chic-Fil-A at Blakeney
Providence Country Club
Ballantyne Country Club
Beamer Sports Photography
Atrium Health (for Head Athletic Trainer)
OrthoCarolina (for Asst. Athletic Trainer)
< >If you want to be an AK Athletic Booster Corporate Partner, please visit the following link for information on supporting our AK Athletic programs:http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1285298-corporate-sponsor-forms
< >Don’t forget to follow us online (www.cmsathleticzone.com) and on Twitter (@AKsportsinfo) for up-to-date and late breaking info.
GO AK KNIGHTS!