MISSION: TO PROVIDE ATHLETIC PROGRAMS THAT PRODUCE A PRIDEFUL EXPERIENCE FOR ALL AND PREPARE STUDENT-ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN LIFE.
AK SPORTS REPORT
(January 13-18, 2020)
The first full school week of 2020 is in the books! This week, we see the end of 2nd Quarter and the start of 1st Semester Exams. Best of luck to all AK students on their exams and finishing the semester off strongly. Our Winter Sports season continues along as well, with some teams already hitting the home stretch and looking towards post-season competition. Also, we are approaching the official start of Spring Sports (believe it or not!), with tryouts/first practice dates only a month away! Have a great week AK, and be sure to check out our January Community Spotlight section, as we recognize another one of our AK Athletic Boosters community partners!
GO KNIGHTS! PROTECT THE CASTLE!
- MEN’S BASKETBALL: AK Men’s Basketball came out strong in 2020 with two big conference wins, including a great performance at Home against Olympic to start the week. The Knights improved to 13-3 overall on the season and remain unbeaten in SoMeck 7 Conference play at 5-0. The Knights will travel to rival Providence this Friday to close out the first round of conference play. Keep it rolling men!
- 1/17 – @ Providence
- JV – 4:30 PM
- Varsity – 7:30 PM
- WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: AK Women’s Basketball jumped back into SoMeck 7 competition last week to start the New Year. The Lady Knights suffered their first conference loss against Olympic to start the week, but bounced back with a big road win against Berry to move their record to 10-6 overall and 4-1 in conference play. Only one game on the slate for the upcoming week, but it’s a big one on the road against conference rival Providence! Let’s go ladies!
- 1/17 – @ Providence
- JV – 3:30 PM
- Varsity – 6:00 PM
- MEN’S & WOMEN’S SWIM & DIVE: AK Swim & Dive will begin post-season competition this week, as they compete in the SoMeck 7 Conference Championship meets for both Swimming and Diving! Best of luck to our Aqua Knights this coming weekend!
- 1/17 – SoMeck 7 Conference Swimming Championship Meet @ MCAC (7:00 PM)
- 1/18 – SoMeck 7 Conference Diving Championship Meet @ HFFA (9:00 AM)
- WRESTLING: AK Wrestling competed in an Individuals tournament over the weekend. Top finishers for the Knights were: Cam Parker (3rd Place – 106 lbs.), Gaetano Verni (4th Place – 113 lbs.), Douglas Walkley (4th Place – 120 lbs.), and Anthony Farrand (2nd Place – 145 lbs.). For full results of all divisions, view the below link. This week, the Knights will be back in SoMeck7 Dual match competition, as they host Harding on Tuesday night for Senior Night and the last Home match of the regular season! AK will then compete in a Dual Team tournament next weekend to complete a busy week on the mats. Good luck men!
- King of Kings Invitational Results Link:https://www.trackwrestling.com/Login.jsp?TIM=1578846760771&twSessionId=jrwugfycqu&tName=king%20of%20kings&state=&sDate=&eDate=&lastName=&firstName=&teamName=&sfvString=&city=&gbId=&camps=false
- 1/14 – Dual Match @ Home vs. Harding (6:30 PM) – SENIOR NIGHT
- 1/18 – Sabre Duals Tournament @ South Meck (9:00 AM)
- INDOOR TRACK & FIELD: AK Indoor Track & Field began the New Year competing in the Omega Sports HS Invitational in Winston-Salem. See the below link for complete results from the meet and see where our Knights placed. The Knights will be back in action at the JDL Fast Track again this weekend for another invitational meet.
- Omega Sports Invitational Results Link:https://nc.milesplit.com/meets/371941/results/683710/raw#.XhtFI8KovIU
- 1/18 – Champion Fast Track Invitational @ JDL Fast Track
IMPORTANT NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- AK Athletic Boosters Senior Student-Athlete Scholarships:
- The Ardrey Kell High School Athletic Booster Club (AKABC) will award ten (10) $1,000 Scholarships in May 2020. Applications will be available to seniors in February of 2020. The deadline for scholarship applications will be in March 2019. If you are interested in being notified when the application process begins, please complete this form to be added to the AKABC Scholarship Committee’s email distribution list -https://forms.gle/bYspsXakYdvCEqL87.
- These scholarships will be awarded to AKHS senior student-athletes based on "Excellence in Academics", "Excellence and Leadership in Athletics" and "Contributions to the AKHS Student-Athlete Community". These scholarships will assist AKHS student-athletes in paying to attend a 2-year or 4-year college in the fall of 2020.
- Please note:
- You or a family member must be an active 2019-20 AKABC member to be considered by the AKABC Scholarship Selection Committee. It is NOT too late to join and memberships start at $60 per year!
- Each scholarship is paid directly to the recipient's college or university in the fall of 2020. Students who receive full scholarships are not eligible.
- Questions? Please contact a member of the AKABC Scholarship Committee firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2019-2020 Head Coaches Contact Information
- 2019-2020 Season Passes & AK Athletic Boosters Membership
- 2019-2020 Season Passes and AKABC Membership are now available for purchase through Huddle GoFan digital ticketing.Season passes get admission to all Home regular season athletic events throughout the year.Please visit the link below to get started and ready to cheer your Knights on all season long!
- Official Ardrey Kell On-line Spirit Wear Store
- Visit the official on-line spirit wear store for the Ardrey Kell Knights and get decked out in some great gear to support your Knights for the upcoming season.New gear for the 2019-2020 school year is now available and you can customize your gear with almost endless design options!Visit the link below or click on the banner on our main athletic web-page on the CMSathleticzone site.
- 2019-2020 AK Athletic Forms Page
- Be sure to visit the AK Athletic Forms page on our CMSathleticzone web-site to get all the information needed for athletic participation, including the AK on-line athletic pre-participation packet, which is required for all student-athletes.Link to the page is provided below.
- Also, be sure to frequently view our AK Athletics Master Calendar (Google Calendar) embedded on this page.It is always kept up to date and revised with schedule changes as we move through the season.
- Student-Athlete Scholarship Opportunities
- NCHSAA Scholarships:
- ATTN Senior Student-Athletes!The NCHSAA offers many opportunities for different scholarships they award.The application period has begun for many of them.Please visit the below link to the NCHSAA web-site if you are interested in learning more about the scholarships available and to apply.
- Liz Murray Scholarship (sponsored by the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club) – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. The Hood Hargett Breakfast Club awards a monthly scholarship throughout the school year, with the first application deadline September 3rd. Once your application is submitted, it will remain in the applicant pool for each month for the remainder of the school year. AK has a strong history of winners…..let’s keep it going! Click link below for more information and contact the athletic director if any questions: https://hoodhargettbreakfastclub.com/liz-murray-scholarship/
January Community Spotlight – Becca Rouse Photography
Becca Rouse, AK's official sports photographer, became a first-time AKABC sponsor at the beginning of this school year to help support her children's school and the overall community. She is originally from Texas and says, "My family moved often during my childhood and when I was a senior in high school in Reading, Pennsylvania, I met my husband, Brian. I graduated from Penn State and went on to get my MBA at LSU. GEAUX TIGERS! "
Becca began working in NC as a photographer 8 years ago. "We moved to Charlotte with our kids (Jack, freshman and Jordan, junior) in the summer of 2008. Texas will always be home for me, but we love the Carolinas for it's mountains, beaches and friendly folks! Four years ago I formed an LLC and signed my first huge soccer league for Picture Days." Becca has been shooting for CBS Sports/Maxpreps for about 4 years and can cover high schools all over the state.
Becca Rouse Photography wants to help people see just how athletic, talented and motivated our student athletes are at AK. She explains, "Sports are fast paced...even the slower moving ones! The human eye just can't catch and process every intricate movement made by a person in motion, much less notice the emotion. Because of my years of training and pro equipment, I can freeze a lot of those moments so that people can see and FEEL them in a way that they can't by simply watching from the bleachers or sidelines."
Over the holidays, Becca was working some AK athletic events (taking candid photos as well as posed portraits) and several parents of AK kids came up to her to congratulate her on being the new school sports photographer. She tells us, "I'm guessing they heard my company name announced at a home game as a sponsor. Exposure is key in growing a business, and every 'touch' adds up. My first official season at AK has been a lot of fun and the photos from the first team and individual Picture Days have been a big hit. I'm looking forward to what the future holds."
Its a new year and the Ardrey Kell Athletic Booster Club continues to reach out to the community to help businesses and families thrive. Becca Rouse Photography is just one example of how giving back can make a difference for many. When asked if there were any challenges getting started with AKABC, Becca laughed and said, "It really has been smooth sailing with the corporate sponsorship! The only hiccup was that Brian and I couldn't figure out how to make the online season pass work (so it was probably user error) but the boosters were quick to take great care of us and we didn't miss a game!"
Becca Rouse Photography is proud of AK student athletes and all they accomplish. "I want THEM to see these awesome photos of themselves and just freak OUT because they're so good. These kids work so hard and they just don't stop moving. I want them to see themselves in action and to feel proud of themselves for a minute. Take a look on my website. You'll see some incredible athletes."
Becca hopes to create a collaborative relationship with AK teams and families. "I encourage these kids to know me well enough to say "hey" when they see me on the sidelines, and so that families who need professional photos will think of me and give me a call."
AK Corporate Partners
A special thank you to our AK Corporate Sponsors. Your support helps AKHS provide our student-athletes with the best interscholastic athletic experience for our deserving student-athletes! Please thank the following area businesses and corporate sponsors for their commitment to Knights Athletics during the 2019-2020 school-year by supporting their businesses.
The White Group – Keller Williams Realty
Carolina’s Center for Oral & Facial Surgery
Shake Shack at Blakeney
Nothing But Noodles
True Craft Pizza at Stonecrest
Jersey Mike's at Stonecrest
Ted’s Montana Grill
Sylvan Learning of Charlotte & Ballantyne
Becca Rouse Photography, LLC
Qdoba Mexican Eats
Rita’s Italian Ice
Firebird’s Wood-Fired Grill
Chic-Fil-A at Blakeney
Providence Country Club
Ballantyne Country Club
Beamer Sports Photography
Atrium Health (for Head Athletic Trainer)
OrthoCarolina (for Asst. Athletic Trainer)
< >If you want to be an AK Athletic Booster Corporate Partner, please visit the following link for information on supporting our AK Athletic programs:http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1285298-corporate-sponsor-forms
< >Don’t forget to follow us online (www.cmsathleticzone.com) and on Twitter (@AKsportsinfo) for up-to-date and late breaking info.
GO AK KNIGHTS!