MISSION: TO PROVIDE ATHLETIC PROGRAMS THAT PRODUCE A PRIDEFUL EXPERIENCE FOR ALL AND PREPARE STUDENT-ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN LIFE.
AK SPORTS REPORT
(February 17-22, 2020)
An exciting span of the Sports year lies ahead the next few weeks. For Winter Sports, NCHSAA post-season play begins for Basketball this week with Conference Tournament action, along with the State Individuals Tournament for Wrestling. Meanwhile, the Spring Sports pre-season has officially begun and we are only two weeks away from first contests! It’s going to be an exciting time watching our Knights compete with some big stakes on the line! Have a great week AK!
GO KNIGHTS! PROTECT THE CASTLE!
- MEN’S BASKETBALL: AK Men’s Basketball completed the regular season with two conference Home victories to finish 18-6 overall and 9-3 (2nd Place) in the SoMeck 7 Conference. The Knights have locked up an automatic berth for the upcoming State Playoffs, but this week look to win their 3rd straight SoMeck 7 Conference Tournament, as they enter as the #2 Seed. Good luck Knights……….the post-season his here!
SoMeck 7 Conference Tournament @ Phillip O. Berry (all games)
- 2/18 – 1st Round vs. Providence (4:30 PM)
- 2/20 – Semi-Finals vs. TBD (6:00 PM)
- 2/21 – Finals vs. TBD (8:00 PM)
- WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: AK Women’s Basketball split their final two regular season games, defeating Berry before an extremely tight loss to Conference Champion Providence by a score of 51-50 in front of a great Home crowd. The Lady Knights finished 8-4- (3rd Place) in SoMeck 7 Conference play, and 14-10 overall as they begin post-season play this week in the Conference Tournament as the #3 Seed. Best of luck to our Lady Knights!
SoMeck 7 Conference Tournament @ Phillip O. Berry (all games)
- 2/17 – 1st Round vs. West Meck (6:00 PM)
- 2/19 – Semi-Finals vs. TBD (6:00 PM)
- 2/21 – Finals vs. TBD (6:30 PM)
- WRESTLING: AK Wrestling competed in the Individuals Regional Tournament over the weekend, with many strong performances to post 7th Place in the team standings. But the highlight was Anthony Farrand’s Regional Championship title in the 145 lb. weight class to punch his ticket to the NCHSAA 4A State Tournament this week in Greensboro. Great season by our Knights wrestlers and best of luck at States Anthony!
- 2/20-22 – NCHSAA 4A Individuals State Tournament @ Greensboro Coliseum
- INDOOR TRACK & FIELD: AK Indoor Track & Field completed their Winter season at the NCHSAA 4A State Championship Meet in Winston-Salem over the weekend. Two great podium performances highlighted the event for the Knights. Congrats to Amber Jackson taking 3rd Place in the Women’s High Jump, and congrats to Murphy Smith taking 3rd Place in the Men’s 3200m Run! Now turns the attention to the Spring for Outdoor Track & Field Season!
IMPORTANT NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Spring Sports Pre-Season Parent Meeting:
- The mandatory Pre-Season Parent Meeting for Spring Sports is coming up on Monday, February 24th at 6:00 PM in the Main Gym.All Spring student-athletes and a parent/guardian are required to attend this NCHSAA and CMS mandated meeting.
- Sylvan Learning Center – SAT/ACT Prep Scholarships Raffle:
- Our AK Athletic Boosters have partnered with Sylvan of Ballantyne to offer a chance to win one of four SAT/ACT Prep Scholarship packages each valued at $750!Raffle tickets became available at this past Friday’s Home Basketball games and will be on sale this week and at the upcoming Spring Sports Pre-Season Parent Meeting.The drawing will take place and be announced at the meeting as well.Don’t miss out on this great value opportunity and support the AK Athletic Boosters at the same time!
- AK Athletic Boosters Senior Student-Athlete Scholarships:
- Applications are now being accepted for theArdrey Kell High School Athletic Booster Club (AKABC) Senior Scholarships. The AKABC will award ten $1,000 scholarships to SENIOR student athletes. Interested senior athletes can find details for eligibility, selection criteria and links to the application materials here
- 2019-2020 Head Coaches Contact Information
- 2019-2020 Season Passes & AK Athletic Boosters Membership
- 2019-2020 Season Passes and AKABC Membership are now available for purchase through Huddle GoFan digital ticketing.Season passes get admission to all Home regular season athletic events throughout the year.Please visit the link below to get started and ready to cheer your Knights on all season long!
- Official Ardrey Kell On-line Spirit Wear Store
- Visit the official on-line spirit wear store for the Ardrey Kell Knights and get decked out in some great gear to support your Knights for the upcoming season.New gear for the 2019-2020 school year is now available and you can customize your gear with almost endless design options!Visit the link below or click on the banner on our main athletic web-page on the CMSathleticzone site.
- 2019-2020 AK Athletic Forms Page
- Be sure to visit the AK Athletic Forms page on our CMSathleticzone web-site to get all the information needed for athletic participation, including the AK on-line athletic pre-participation packet, which is required for all student-athletes.Link to the page is provided below.
- Also, be sure to frequently view our AK Athletics Master Calendar (Google Calendar) embedded on this page.It is always kept up to date and revised with schedule changes as we move through the season.
- Student-Athlete Scholarship Opportunities
- NCHSAA Scholarships:
- ATTN Senior Student-Athletes!The NCHSAA offers many opportunities for different scholarships they award.The application period has begun for many of them.Please visit the below link to the NCHSAA web-site if you are interested in learning more about the scholarships available and to apply.
- Liz Murray Scholarship (sponsored by the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club) – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. The Hood Hargett Breakfast Club awards a monthly scholarship throughout the school year, with the first application deadline September 3rd. Once your application is submitted, it will remain in the applicant pool for each month for the remainder of the school year. AK has a strong history of winners…..let’s keep it going! Click link below for more information and contact the athletic director if any questions: https://hoodhargettbreakfastclub.com/liz-murray-scholarship/
AK Corporate Partners
A special thank you to our AK Corporate Sponsors. Your support helps AKHS provide our student-athletes with the best interscholastic athletic experience for our deserving student-athletes! Please thank the following area businesses and corporate sponsors for their commitment to Knights Athletics during the 2019-2020 school-year by supporting their businesses.
The White Group – Keller Williams Realty
Carolina’s Center for Oral & Facial Surgery
Shake Shack at Blakeney
Nothing But Noodles
True Craft Pizza at Stonecrest
Jersey Mike's at Stonecrest
Ted’s Montana Grill
Sylvan Learning of Charlotte & Ballantyne
Becca Rouse Photography, LLC
Qdoba Mexican Eats
Rita’s Italian Ice
Firebird’s Wood-Fired Grill
Chic-Fil-A at Blakeney
Providence Country Club
Ballantyne Country Club
Beamer Sports Photography
Atrium Health (for Head Athletic Trainer)
OrthoCarolina (for Asst. Athletic Trainer)
< >If you want to be an AK Athletic Booster Corporate Partner, please visit the following link for information on supporting our AK Athletic programs:http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1285298-corporate-sponsor-forms
< >Don’t forget to follow us online (www.cmsathleticzone.com) and on Twitter (@AKsportsinfo) for up-to-date and late breaking info.
GO AK KNIGHTS!