MISSION: TO PROVIDE ATHLETIC PROGRAMS THAT PRODUCE A PRIDEFUL EXPERIENCE FOR ALL AND PREPARE STUDENT-ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN LIFE.
AK SPORTS REPORT
(March 22-27, 2021)
We hope everyone had a successful start to the 4th academic quarter this past week. As we near the end of March, looking forward to some warmer weather and continuing to see our Knights succeed in their athletic seasons. Another busy week of sports action coming this week, highlighted by our Men’s Lacrosse teams deep post-season run in the NCHSAA State Playoffs. Good luck this week Knights!
GO KNIGHTS! PROTECT THE CASTLE!
- FOOTBALL: AK Football battled through a busy week, with Varsity playing two conference road games and JV one at Home. The JV Knights remained perfect on the season, improving to 3-0 with a 56-34 win over Olympic. Varsity played on Tuesday in a makeup game against Harding, improving to 3-0 with a 48-0 shutout victory over the Rams. On Saturday, the Knights traveled to Olympic for a matchup between two undefeated w/ 1st Place in the SoMeck 7 on the line. Ultimately, AK fell to the Trojans by the score of 28-27 in OT after being denied on a game winning 2-point conversion attempt. It was a tough loss, but very proud of the Knights for continuing to compete to force overtime and grinding through a stretch of three games in eight days. The Knights stand at 3-1 overall and in conference play, and look to bounce back this week against Berry for the Homecoming game!
- 3/25 – JV @ Berry (6:00 PM)
- 3/26 – Varsity @ Home vs. Berry (7:00 PM)
- MEN’S LACROSSE: AK Men’s Lacrosse took care of business in impressive fashion in the opening 2 Rounds of the NCHSAA State Playoffs. The Knights earned victories over Green Level and East Forsyth to advance to the Elite 8 and will host Lake Norman on Monday in a Regional Semi-Final matchup with a chance to host the Regional Finals on Wednesday with a win. Good luck this week men!
NCHSAA State Playoffs:
- 3/22 – 3rd Round @ Home vs. Lake Norman (6:00 PM)
- 3/24 – Regional Finals @ Home vs. Hough/NW Guilford Winner (Time TBD)
- 3/26 – State Finals @ Cardinal Gibbons HS vs. TBD (7:00 PM)
- WOMEN’S LACROSSE: AK Women’s Lacrosse traveled to West Forsyth for on opening round matchup of the NCHSAA State Playoffs. The shorthanded Lady Knights weren’t able to get things rolling and suffered a tough loss to end their season. Still proud of our ladies for all their efforts on a good season!
- WOMEN’S SOCCER: AK Women’s Soccer saw their season opener washed out due to weather, but were able to compete in a season opener on the road against conference rival South Meck. The Lady Knights and Sabres battled through regulation and OT, ultimately ending in a 0-0 tie. This week, the Harding game will be made up on Tuesday, followed by the Home opener on Thursday against Olympic. Varsity ends the week with a non-conference road game at Charlotte Latin. Let’s go Lady Knights!
- 3/23 – @ Harding (JV @ Home vs. Marvin Ridge)
- JV – 4:30 PM
- Varsity – 5:30 PM
- 3/25 – @ Home vs. Olympic
- 3/26 – @ Charlotte Latin
- SOFTBALL: AK Softball also had their season opener postponed due to weather and the Harding game has been rescheduled as part of a Home double-header later in the season. The Lady Knights opened play on the road against South Meck, ultimately falling short in a great comeback effort by the score of 13-11. AK looks to get in the win column this week with the Home opener against Olympic, followed by a road trip to Freedom.
- 3/25 – @ Home vs. Olympic
- 3/26 – @ Freedom
- MEN’S TENNIS: AK Men’s Tennis started the season with a 9-0 sweep over South Meck to begin 1-0 overall and in SoMeck 7 Conference play. The Knights will be on the Home courts this week with two more conference matches. Keep it going men!
- 3/23 – @ Home vs. West Meck (4:00 PM)
- 3/25 – @ Home vs. Olympic (4:00 PM)
- MEN’S & WOMEN’S GOLF: AK Men’s & Women’s Golf both opened their seasons with strong performances and victories over Cuthbertson. The Knights will have a busy week on the course this week, starting with the makeup match against South Meck, followed by another match against Marvin Ridge before the ladies wrap up the week in a non-conference match against Providence. Hit ‘em straight this week Knights!
- 3/23 – Men & Women vs. South Meck @ Firethorne C.C. (3:00 PM)
- 3/24 – Men & Women vs. Marvin Ridge @ Firethorne C.C. (3:00 PM)
- 3/25 – Women vs. Providence @ Ballantyne C.C. (3:30 PM)
IMPORTANT NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Support AK Athletic Boosters w/ Amazon Smile!
- Who doesn’t use Amazon at this point? Take this small step to help support the AK Athletic Booster Club and our athletic programs by going to https://smile.amazon.com and selecting Ardrey Kell Athletic Booster Club to support our Knights as you shop. It’s that easy!
- AK Athletic Boosters Senior Student-Athlete Scholarships:
- The Ardrey Kell High School Athletic Booster Club (AKABC) will award ten (10) $1,000 Scholarships in May 2021. Applications are available now to all Seniors. The deadline for scholarship applications will be on March 31, 2021. If you are interested in applying, please visit the following link to AKABC Scholarship Info. webpage on our CMsAthleticZone site: https://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1152823-athletic-booster-club-scholarship-info
- These scholarships will be awarded to AKHS senior student-athletes based on "Excellence in Academics", "Excellence and Leadership in Athletics" and "Contributions to the AKHS Student-Athlete Community". These scholarships will assist AKHS student-athletes in paying to attend a 2-year or 4-year college in the fall of 2021.
- Please note:
- You or a family member must be an active 2020-21 AKABC member to be considered by the AKABC Scholarship Selection Committee. It is NOT too late to join and memberships is specially priced at only $10 this year!
- Each scholarship is paid directly to the recipient's college or university in the Fall of 2021. Students who receive full scholarships are not eligible.
- Questions can be directed to email@example.com.
- Other Senior Student-Athlete Scholarship Opportunities
- NCHSAA Scholarships:
- ATTN Senior Student-Athletes! The NCHSAA offers many opportunities for different scholarships they award. The application period has begun for many of them. Please visit the below link to the NCHSAA web-site if you are interested in learning more about the scholarships available and to apply.
- Liz Murray Scholarship (sponsored by the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club) – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. The Hood Hargett Breakfast Club awards a monthly scholarship throughout the school year, with the first application deadline September 3rd. Once your application is submitted, it will remain in the applicant pool for each month for the remainder of the school year. AK has a strong history of winners…..let’s keep it going! Click link below for more information and contact the athletic director if any questions: https://hoodhargettbreakfastclub.com/liz-murray-scholarship/
- NFHS Network
- Livestreamed sporting events are coming to THE CASTLE! Ardrey Kell High School is thrilled to announce its partnership with the NFHS Network! With stadium and gym capacity limitations, we are now able to provide you and your family access to all events held in our stadium and main gym through the NFHS Network from the safety and comfort of your home! Please access the link below, subscribe to our channel, and select Ardrey Kell High School as your school of choice.
- By subscribing to the AKHS channel, you will not only gain access to ALL of our stadium and main gym events, you will also be able to access every sporting event nationwide that is streamed on the NFHS Network. At AK you will be able to view Football, Basketball, Cheer, Volleyball, Wrestling, Lacrosse, Soccer, Track & Field and also Swimming (as cameras have also been installed at the two CMS pools) and any other event we host at THE CASTLE stadium and main gym! A percentage of each subscription cost will return to AK Athletics to continue to provide support for our programs and student-athletes.
- AK Athletics Pre-Season Parent Meeting (Video Presentation)
- Due to current restrictions on mass gatherings, we obviously cannot hold our Athletics Pre-Season Parent Meetings in the traditional format in the main gym. These will be held at the team level through video conferencing, but we have also put together a video presentation of information that applies to all sports this year. Below is the YouTube link and this will also be posted on the AK Athletics web-site along with the slide deck of the presentation:
- 2020-2021 – AK Athletics Schedule Page
- Most season schedules for the 2020-2021 athletic seasons have been posted on our AK Athletic Schedules page. Please visit the following link to view the most up-to-date schedules as they unfold throughout the school year: http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/ardreykell?id=1319821-ardrey-kell-knights-athletic-schedules
- Also, be sure to frequently view our AK Athletics Master Calendar (Google Calendar) embedded on this page. It is always kept up-to-date and revised with schedule changes as we move through the season.
- 2020-2021 AK Athletic Forms Page
- Be sure to visit the AK Athletic Forms page on our CMSathleticzone web-site to get all the information needed for athletic participation, including the AK on-line athletic pre-participation packet, which is required for all student-athletes. Link to the page is provided below.
- 2020-2021 Head Coaches Contact Information
- AK once again has the best coaching staff in North Carolina, full of driven professionals that are passionate about interscholastic athletics and care about the student-athletes they are privileged to serve. Below is the link to our AK Coaching Info. page, with contact information for all AK Head Coaches. Make sure you reach out if you have not been connected yet with the sport you are interested in participating in.
- 2020-2021 Season Passes & AK Athletic Boosters Membership
- AK Athletic Booster Club Memberships are currently available for purchase at a special rate this year of only $10! Membership can be purchased through the following platforms:
- Due to the continued restrictions and COVID-19 protocols, All-Season Passes will not be sold this year. The athletics department is offering single sport season pass options that will be available through VarsityTix digital ticketing. Information will be shared at the team level as the different seasons get underway.
- Official Ardrey Kell On-line Spirit Wear Store
- Visit the official on-line spirit wear store for the Ardrey Kell Knights and get decked out in some great gear to support your Knights for the upcoming season. New gear for the 2020-2021 school year is now available and you can customize your gear with almost endless design options! Visit the link below or click on the banner on our main athletic web-page on the CMSathleticzone site.
AK Corporate Partners – 2020-2021
A special thank you to our AK Corporate Sponsors. Your support helps AKHS provide our student-athletes with the best interscholastic athletic experience for our deserving student-athletes! Please thank the following area businesses and corporate sponsors for their commitment to Knights Athletics during the 2020-2021 school year by supporting their businesses.
The White Group – Keller Williams Realty
Carolina’s Center for Oral & Facial Surgery
Nothing But Noodles
True Craft Pizza at Stonecrest
Jersey Mike's at Stonecrest
Ted’s Montana Grill
Sylvan Learning of Charlotte & Ballantyne
Brixx at Blakeney
Becca Rouse Photography, LLC
Little Burger at Rea Farms
Qdoba Mexican Eats
Firebird’s Wood-Fired Grill
Chic-Fil-A at Blakeney
Providence Country Club
Ballantyne Country Club
Atrium Health (for Head Athletic Trainer)
OrthoCarolina (for Asst. Athletic Trainer)
< >If you want to be an AK Athletic Booster Corporate Partner, please visit the following link for information on supporting our AK Athletic programs: http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1285298-corporate-sponsor-forms
< >Don’t forget to follow us online (www.cmsathleticzone.com) and on Twitter (@AKsportsinfo) for up-to-date and late breaking info.
GO AK KNIGHTS!