MISSION: TO PROVIDE ATHLETIC PROGRAMS THAT PRODUCE A PRIDEFUL EXPERIENCE FOR ALL AND PREPARE STUDENT-ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN LIFE.
AK SPORTS REPORT
(April 12-17, 2021)
We hope that everyone had a great Spring Break and is ready for the home stretch of the 2020-2021 academic year! Our Knights were still busy competing over the break and came away with some great victories in SoMeck 7 Conference play. This week, our last “wave” of sports this year officially begins with tryouts/practices for Baseball, Men’s & Women’s Track & Field, Women’s Tennis and Wrestling. Looking forward to another great week of sports action at AK!
GO KNIGHTS! PROTECT THE CASTLE!
- FOOTBALL: AK Football finished the regular season in grand fashion against rival Providence. First, the JV Knights took down the Panthers 31-12 to complete and undefeated SoMeck 7 Conference Championship season….well done young Knights! Varsity then took on the Panthers with a Conference Title on the line. After a tight 1st Half of action, the Knights opened it up with 28 unanswered points and a Defensive shutout in the 2nd Half, earning a share of the Conference Championship……the 3rd consecutive conference title for the Knights. AK earned an automatic berth in the NCHSAA 4AA State Playoffs as the #4 Overall Seed in the West Region and will host Vance in the 1st Round. Looking forward to more Friday Night Lights in THE CASTLE this week!
NCHSAA 4AA State Playoffs
- 4/16 – 1st Round @ Home vs. Vance (7:00 PM)
- WOMEN’S SOCCER: AK Women’s Soccer got a huge conference win over rival Providence by a score of 2-1 to remain undefeated in SoMeck 7 Conference play, setting up a showdown for 1st Place with South Meck. The Lady Knights battled the Sabres in tight game throughout, but ultimately fell by a score of 1-0. AK comes out of Spring Break with a conference record of 4-1-1 and have a nice Home stand this week. Good luck ladies!
- 4/13 – @ Home vs. Harding (JV @ Hickory Ridge)
- JV – 4:30 PM
- Varsity – 5:30 PM
- 4/14 – @ Home vs. Clover
- JV – 4:30 PM
- Varsity – 6:00 PM
- 4/15 – @ Home vs. Weddington
- SOFTBALL: AK Softball had a great week of Spring Break action, improving to 3-1 in SoMeck 7 Conference play after a big victory over Providence in a high scoring affair 15-11! The Lady Knights have a busy schedule of JV and Varsity action at Home this week as they look to keep the momentum going. Keep it up ladies!
- 4/12 – @ Home vs. Mooresville
- 4/13 – @ Home vs. Harding
- NO JV
- Varsity Double-Header – 5:00/6:00 PM
- 4/14 – @ Home vs. Hickory Ridge
- JV Double-Header – 4:30/5:30 PM
- NO Varsity
- 4/16 – @ Home vs. Freedom
- MEN’S TENNIS: AK Men’s Tennis dropped their first match of the season 5-4 to rival Providence in a thriller that came down to the final Doubles match. The Knights rebounded quickly with a dominant 9-0 win over South Meck to improve to 5-1 in SoMeck 7 Conference play and 6-1 overall. No matches are currently on the schedule this week, but a non-conference matchup is being worked on to keep the Knights rolling into the second round of conference play starting next week.
- MEN’S & WOMEN’S GOLF: AK Men’s & Women’s Golf are back in action this week looking to go low coming out of Spring Break. The Men will take on Hickory Ridge in non-conference play before both the Men & Women take on SoMeck 7 Conference opponent South Meck. Good luck to our AK Golfers this week!
- 4/13 – Men vs. Hickory Ridge @ Firethorne C.C (3:00 PM)
- 4/14 – Men & Women vs. South Meck @ TPC Piper Glen (3:00 PM)
IMPORTANT NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- AK NCHSAA Scholar-Athlete Report
- The following Sports have been recognized as receiving the NCHSAA Scholar-Athlete Team Award for grades from 1st Semester (unweighted Team GPA):
- M-Cross Country – 3.713 Team GPA
- W-Swim & Dive – 3.712 Team GPA
- W-Cross Country – 3.566 Team GPA
- W-Basketball – 3.538 Team GPA
- W-Lacrosse – 3.516 Team GPA
- Cheer (Basketball) – 3.424 Team GPA
- Volleyball – 3.318 Team GPA
- M-Basketball – 3.283 Team GPA
- M-Lacrosse – 3.265 Team GPA
- M-Soccer – 3.234 Team GPA
- M-Swim & Dive – 3.210 Team GPA
- See complete report here: https://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1694133-ak-scholar-athlete-reports
- Be sure check with your Head Coach to see if you qualified!
- Class of 2021 College Signing Ceremony
- The AK Athletic Department is looking forward to finally honoring all our Class of 2021 Senior Student-Athletes that have committed to continue their academic and athletic careers at the inter-collegiate level! It has been our hope all year to do this in-person so that our signees can have family and friends attend for this important event. On Wednesday, April 21st at 2:30 PM, we will hold our signing ceremony in the Main Gym. A more detailed schedule will be shared once all information has been gathered for the signees. If you wish to participate in this signing ceremony, please complete this form by Wednesday, April 14th. If you have any questions, please direct them to your head coach or Coach Knab at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support AK Athletic Boosters w/ Amazon Smile!
- Who doesn’t use Amazon at this point? Take this small step to help support the AK Athletic Booster Club and our athletic programs by going to https://smile.amazon.com and selecting Ardrey Kell Athletic Booster Club to support our Knights as you shop. It’s that easy!
- Other Senior Student-Athlete Scholarship Opportunities
- Liz Murray Scholarship (sponsored by the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club) – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. The Hood Hargett Breakfast Club awards a monthly scholarship throughout the school year, with the first application deadline September 3rd. Once your application is submitted, it will remain in the applicant pool for each month for the remainder of the school year. AK has a strong history of winners…..let’s keep it going! Click link below for more information and contact the athletic director if any questions: https://hoodhargettbreakfastclub.com/liz-murray-scholarship/
- NFHS Network
- Livestreamed sporting events are coming to THE CASTLE! Ardrey Kell High School is thrilled to announce its partnership with the NFHS Network! With stadium and gym capacity limitations, we are now able to provide you and your family access to all events held in our stadium and main gym through the NFHS Network from the safety and comfort of your home! Please access the link below, subscribe to our channel, and select Ardrey Kell High School as your school of choice.
- By subscribing to the AKHS channel, you will not only gain access to ALL of our stadium and main gym events, you will also be able to access every sporting event nationwide that is streamed on the NFHS Network. At AK you will be able to view Football, Basketball, Cheer, Volleyball, Wrestling, Lacrosse, Soccer, Track & Field and also Swimming (as cameras have also been installed at the two CMS pools) and any other event we host at THE CASTLE stadium and main gym! A percentage of each subscription cost will return to AK Athletics to continue to provide support for our programs and student-athletes.
- AK Athletics Pre-Season Parent Meeting (Video Presentation)
- Due to current restrictions on mass gatherings, we obviously cannot hold our Athletics Pre-Season Parent Meetings in the traditional format in the main gym. These will be held at the team level through video conferencing, but we have also put together a video presentation of information that applies to all sports this year. Below is the YouTube link and this will also be posted on the AK Athletics web-site along with the slide deck of the presentation:
- 2020-2021 – AK Athletics Schedule Page
- Most season schedules for the 2020-2021 athletic seasons have been posted on our AK Athletic Schedules page. Please visit the following link to view the most up-to-date schedules as they unfold throughout the school year: http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/ardreykell?id=1319821-ardrey-kell-knights-athletic-schedules
- Also, be sure to frequently view our AK Athletics Master Calendar (Google Calendar) embedded on this page. It is always kept up-to-date and revised with schedule changes as we move through the season.
- 2020-2021 AK Athletic Forms Page
- Be sure to visit the AK Athletic Forms page on our CMSathleticzone web-site to get all the information needed for athletic participation, including the AK on-line athletic pre-participation packet, which is required for all student-athletes. Link to the page is provided below.
- 2020-2021 Head Coaches Contact Information
- AK once again has the best coaching staff in North Carolina, full of driven professionals that are passionate about interscholastic athletics and care about the student-athletes they are privileged to serve. Below is the link to our AK Coaching Info. page, with contact information for all AK Head Coaches. Make sure you reach out if you have not been connected yet with the sport you are interested in participating in.
- 2020-2021 Season Passes & AK Athletic Boosters Membership
- AK Athletic Booster Club Memberships are currently available for purchase at a special rate this year of only $10! Membership can be purchased through the following platforms:
- Due to the continued restrictions and COVID-19 protocols, All-Season Passes will not be sold this year. The athletics department is offering single sport season pass options that will be available through VarsityTix digital ticketing. Information will be shared at the team level as the different seasons get underway.
- Official Ardrey Kell On-line Spirit Wear Store
- Visit the official on-line spirit wear store for the Ardrey Kell Knights and get decked out in some great gear to support your Knights for the upcoming season. New gear for the 2020-2021 school year is now available and you can customize your gear with almost endless design options! Visit the link below or click on the banner on our main athletic web-page on the CMSathleticzone site.
AK Corporate Partners – 2020-2021
A special thank you to our AK Corporate Sponsors. Your support helps AKHS provide our student-athletes with the best interscholastic athletic experience for our deserving student-athletes! Please thank the following area businesses and corporate sponsors for their commitment to Knights Athletics during the 2020-2021 school year by supporting their businesses.
The White Group – Keller Williams Realty
Carolina’s Center for Oral & Facial Surgery
Nothing But Noodles
True Craft Pizza at Stonecrest
Jersey Mike's at Stonecrest
Ted’s Montana Grill
Sylvan Learning of Charlotte & Ballantyne
Brixx at Blakeney
Becca Rouse Photography, LLC
Little Burger at Rea Farms
Qdoba Mexican Eats
Firebird’s Wood-Fired Grill
Chic-Fil-A at Blakeney
Providence Country Club
Ballantyne Country Club
Atrium Health (for Head Athletic Trainer)
OrthoCarolina (for Asst. Athletic Trainer)
< >If you want to be an AK Athletic Booster Corporate Partner, please visit the following link for information on supporting our AK Athletic programs: http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1285298-corporate-sponsor-forms
< >Don’t forget to follow us online (www.cmsathleticzone.com) and on Twitter (@AKsportsinfo) for up-to-date and late breaking info.
GO AK KNIGHTS!