AK SPORTS REPORT
(October 12-17, 2015)
We finally saw some blue skies and sun last week in between the rain, and a couple of Fall athletic teams finished their conference regular seasons with SoMeck 8 Conference Championships! Congratulations to our AK Women’s Tennis and Women’s Golf teams! Another busy week ahead, with Volleyball looking for a conference title in the last week of their regular season, capped by Home Varsity Football vs. rival Providence this Friday night! Let’s Go Knights!!
- FOOTBALL: (AK Football had a tough start to the week, as weather once again made conditions tough last Monday, with the Varsity team coming up short in their comeback effort against Olympic 12-7, as the final drive stalled on goal-to-go from the 7-yard line. The Knights were able to bounce back quickly though, as both JV and Varsity defeated Harding. It was the 2nd win in a row for the JV’s, while the Varsity moved to 2-1 in the SoMeck 8. No games bigger than this week, as AK will take on rival Providence! Friday’s Home Varsity game will be jam packed with activities: the annual AK Athletic Boosters BBQ; rescheduled Homecoming activities, such as the Homecoming Parade over to Community House Middle; the Future Knights youth program; and Military Appreciation. Should be a great day at AK!)
- 10/15 – JV @ Providence (6:00 PM)
- 10/16 – Varsity @ Home vs. Providence (7:00 PM) – Military Appreciation Game (our Knights will be dressed in special jerseys for the game and active military men and women that present an active I.D. will receive free admission to the game)
- VOLLEYBALL: (AK Volleyball had a great week, with JV remaining undefeated and Varsity going 3-1 overall, including a huge SoMeck 8 road win @ Providence to remain in 1st place. Two big conference matches remain this week to finish the regular season, including a 1st place showdown @ Charlotte Catholic on Tuesday, and Senior Night @ Home on Thursday. Good luck Lady Knights!)
- 10/13 - @ Charlotte Catholic
- JV – 4:00 PM
- Varsity – 5:30 PM
- 10/15 - @ Home vs. South Meck (SENIOR NIGHT)
- JV – 4:00 PM
- Varsity – 5:30 PM
- MEN’S SOCCER: (AK Men’s Soccer went 1-1 last week after a hard fought 1-0 loss @ South Meck on Monday, followed by a dominating Home win on Wednesday. The Knights stand at 5-2 in the SoMeck 8 and are still in the mix at the top of the conference. Two more SoMeck 8 opponents on the schedule for this week for the Knights!)
- 10/12 - @ Olympic
- JV – 4:30 PM
- Varsity – 6:00 PM
- 10/14 - @ Home vs. Harding
- WOMEN’S TENNIS: (AK Women’s Tennis finished their regular season just missing out on an outright SoMeck 8 Title after a close 5-4 loss to Charlotte Catholic that came down to the final match. The Lady Knights still earned a share of the championship and will draw on Monday to break the tie for playoff seeding. AK will host the SoMeck 8 Conference Women’s Tennis Tournament this Tuesday and Wednesday. Good luck ladies!)
- 10/13 – Day 1 SoMeck 8 Conference Tournament @ AK (3:00 PM)
10/14 – Day 2 SoMeck 8 Conference Tournament @ AK (3:00 PM)
- WOMEN’S GOLF: (AK Women’s Golf capped a perfect conference regular season by shooting a season low 112 to defeat Providence and earn an outright SoMeck 8 Championship! The ladies have one more match this week in preparation for the 4A West Regional Tournament next week. Great job Lady Knights!)
- 10/14 – vs. Providence & Myers Park @ Raintree C.C. (3:30 PM)
- MEN’S & WOMEN’S CROSS COUNTRY: (The Women's Cross Country team took 3rd place overall this weekend at the NCRUNNERS Invitational. The Knights had 3 of the top 10 finishes with Josie Jordan and Emma Wiese placing 5th and 6th and teammate Lexie David taking 9th place overall. Also having one of her best performances of the season was freshman Katie Gibbons taking 22nd overall. Lexie Winters helped the Knights to their 3rd place finish with an outstanding race back from an injury placing in the top 50 out of 265 runners. The other highlight note is the Knights beat out powerhouse Green Hope for the first time ever. Great Job Lady Knights!
The Men's Freshman and Sophmore team placed 16th overall out of 46 teams led by freshman Matt Santos who placed 35th overall out of almost 400 runners. Adding to the solid team performance was Robert Marlette, Jackson Dreier, Christopher Mason, Brett Walsh, Sean Teague, and Tristian Wheeler. In the championship race Ryan Kendall was our top finisher placing 41st overall out of 310 runners. Excellent job to all AK runners on such a great day and great race!)
- 10/14 – Pre-Conference Meet @ McAlpine Park (4:30 PM)
IMPORTANT NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- The annual AK Athletic Booster BBQ is this Friday! Along with the BBQ, the traditional baked goods sale will be happening. Please help us make this a great success as always by donating baked goods. All baked goods donations can be dropped off at the school on Thursday, Oct. 15th, or at the BBQ tent on Friday morning. THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT AK COMMUNITY!!
- AK Athletic Booster Club Meeting: Monday, October 12 (6:45 PM in G207 – After “Sweets w/ Switzer - 6:00 PM in Media Center)
- AK Athletic Booster Club – 2015-2016 Membership & Season Passes
AK Corporate Partners
A special thank you to our AK Corporate Sponsors. Your support helps AKHS provide our student-athletes with the best interscholastic athletic experience for our deserving student-athletes! Please thank the following area businesses and corporate sponsors for their commitment to Knights Athletics during the 2015-2016 school-year by supporting their businesses.
Carolinas HealthCare System
Carolina’s Center for Oral & Facial Surgery
Allstate Insurance – Corey Hinson & Associates
Huntington Learning Center
Jersey Mike's at Stonecrest
Carefree Carpet & Floors
Chili’s at Blakeney
Brixx at Blakeney
Bass Properties – Keller Williams Realty
Nothing But Noodles
Chic-Fil-A at Blakeney
Shane’s Rib Shack on 521
True Pizza at Stonecrest
The Building Center
Providence Country Club
Ballantyne Country Club
Firebird’s Wood-Fired Grill
Beamer Sports Photography
Carolinas HealthCare System (for Head Athletic Trainer)
OrthoCarolina (for Asst. Athletic Trainer)
- If you want to be an AK Athletic Booster Corporate Partner or purchase an AK Booster Membership and Season Pass, please see website below for more information or email me!).
- Don’t forget to follow us online (www.cmsathleticzone.com) and on Twitter (@AKsportsinfo) for up-to-date and late breaking info.
- Thanks also to Rick Hendrick at Hendrick Automotive Group for their support of CMS and middle school athletics.
GO AK KNIGHTS!!!