MISSION: TO PROVIDE ATHLETIC PROGRAMS THAT PRODUCE A PRIDEFUL EXPERIENCE FOR ALL AND PREPARE OUR STUDENT-ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN ALL REALMS OF LIFE.
AK SPORTS REPORT
(September 18-23, 2017)
Although it will be a short week of classes with teacher workdays on Thursday and Friday, it will be a full week of competition for our Fall athletic teams. Below is the schedule for the upcoming week and a review of last week’s results. Good luck to all teams, as SoMeck 7 Conference competition is heating up with some important contests this week! Have a great week AK! PROTECT THE CASTLE!
- AUGUST STUDENT-ATHLETES OF THE MONTH
- Female – Congratulations to Senior Cheerleader Isabelle Scoggins on being named our AK Athletics Female Student-Athlete of the Month for August 2017!
- Male – Congratulations to Senior Cross Country runner Michael Sobus on being named our AK Athletics Male Student-Athlete of the Month for August 2017!
- 2017 USA Swimming Scholastic All-Americans
- Congratulations to Junior swimmers Josh Fletcher and Jack Valiquette for being honored by USA Swimming as Scholastic All-Americans for their achievement in the classroom and in the pool for 2016-2017!
- FOOTBALL: AK Varsity Football wrapped up non-conference play with a strong performance @ Home against Hough. The Knights started strong and jumped out to an early lead, but fell short in a back-and-forth 2nd half to the Huskies. A new season starts this week with the SoMeck 7 Conference opener…..a big one on the road @ rival Providence. Let’s go 1-0 Knights!
- JV Football lost a tight one 21-14 on the road @ Hough this past Thursday. The young Knights look for a Home victory this week as they open SoMeck 7 play against Providence.
- 9/21 – JV @ Home vs. Providence (6:00 PM)
- 9/22 – Varsity @ Providence (7:30 PM Kickoffs for all CMS games)
- VOLLEYBALL: AK Volleyball went 2-0 last week, defeating conference opponents Berry and Olympic in straight sets. The Lady Knights stand at 5-1 in SoMeck 7 play after the first round of the conference season. A huge match-up looms this week as the Lady Knights host Providence on Thursday with 1st Place on the line before playing in the annual Serve for a Cure Tourney on Saturday. Good luck ladies!!
- 9/21 – @ Home vs. Providence
- JV – 4:00 PM
- Varsity – 5:30 PM
- 9/23 – Varsity/JV – Serve for a Cure Tournament @ Charlotte Latin
- MEN’S SOCCER: AK Men’s Soccer split in the opening week of their SoMeck 7 Conference schedule, falling at Home to Providence in a tight 1-0 game before dominating West Meck on the road. The Knights have two more conference opponents on the slate for this week with two road tests. Let’s go men!
- 9/19 – @ South Meck
- JV – 4:30 PM
- Varsity – 6:00 PM
- 9/21 - @ Harding
- WOMEN’S TENNIS: AK Women’s Tennis had their first match last week cancelled due to weather from Hurricane Irma, then battled Providence in a showdown for 1st Place in the SoMeck 7. The Lady Knights had a valiant effort in a comeback bid, nearly sweeping the Doubles matches. It came down to the final games, but AK fell in a nail biter 4-5. The Lady Knights look to get back on track with two conference opponents on the schedule this week. Good luck ladies!
- 9/19 - @ West Meck (4:00 PM)
- 9/21 - @ Home vs. South Meck (4:00 PM)
- WOMEN’S GOLF: AK Women’s Golf had their conference match against Olympic postponed due to the wet weather and course conditions this past week. This week, the Lady Knights have two challenging matches in non-conference play. Good luck Lady Knights!!
- 9/19 – Match vs. Myers Park @ Providence C.C. (3:30 PM)
- 9/20 – Match vs. Providence @ Raintree C.C. (3:30 PM)
- MEN’S & WOMEN’S CROSS COUNTRY: The Men's Cross Country team attended the Adidas cross country championship race this past weekend with over 100 teams attending. The boys varsity placed 12th overall beating out Providence's 25th place finish. The boys were led by freshman sensation Murphy smith who placed 25th overall earning a medal. Other great performances came from sophomores William Fan, Steven Sobus, freshmen Charlie Walker and Griffin Cascone. Excellent job boys!!!
The men's JV team placed 8th over all in their division and were led by Noah Caldwell, Jackson drier, and Michael sobus. Great job to all of our jv runners for a great day of performances.
IMPORTANT NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- AK Athletic Boosters BBQ Fundraiser
- It’s back!! The Annual AK Athletic Boosters BBQ is up and running. All AK athletic teams participate in this annual fundraiser, with all funds raised going towards helping the athletic boosters meet the needs and wishes of all our teams and student-athletes.
- The ordering process is easier than ever! Please visit the below link to place an order and be ready to enjoy some delicious BBQ from Queen City Q on October 27th (Home Varsity Football vs. Olympic)
- Link to on-line orders: http://www.tfaforms.com/4634933
- Future Knights
- The Football and Cheerleading Future Knights program is back and registration now open. Please visit the below link if you’d like to learn more details and register a Future Knight!
- Student-Athlete Scholarship Opportunities
- NCHSAA Scholarships:
- ATTN Senior Student-Athletes! The NCHSAA offers many opportunities for different scholarships they award. The application period has begun for many of them. Please visit the below link to the NCHSAA web-site if you are interested in learning more about the scholarships available and to apply.
- Wendy’s High School Heisman – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. Our school winner will represent AK onto the State Level and potentially move on to the Regional and National Level. Please contact your head coach or athletic director if any questions: https://www.wendyshighschoolheisman.com/application/
- Liz Murray Scholarship (sponsored by the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club) – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. The Hood Hargett Breakfast Club awards a monthly scholarship throughout the school year, with the first application deadline August 30th. Once your application is submitted, it will remain in the applicant pool for each month for the remainder of the school year. AK has a strong history of winners…..let’s keep it going! Click link below for more information and contact the athletic director if any questions: https://hoodhargettbreakfastclub.com/liz-murray-scholarship/
- AK Athletic Booster Club – 2017-2018 Membership & Season Passes
- Memberships and Season Passes are now available for purchase through the AK Athletic Boosters Club. Games begin soon, so be sure to get your season passes and come support your Knights!! Visit the following link for information and to purchase your 2017-2018 Membership & Season Passes: http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1265553-membership-forms
- 2017 Fall Sports Schedules Posted
- Game schedules for our 2017 Fall Sports teams have been posted on our athletic web-pages. Please visit the following link to view the most up-to-date schedules: http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/ardreykell?id=1319821-ardrey-kell-knights-athletic-schedules
- Also, be sure to frequently view our AK Athletics Master Calendar (Google Calendar) embedded on this page. It is always kept up to date and revised with schedule changes as we move through the season.
AK Corporate Partners
A special thank you to our AK Corporate Sponsors. Your support helps AKHS provide our student-athletes with the best interscholastic athletic experience for our deserving student-athletes! Please thank the following area businesses and corporate sponsors for their commitment to Knights Athletics during the 2017-2018 school-year by supporting their businesses.
Carolina’s Center for Oral & Facial Surgery
Black Finn American Pub
Mr. Rooter Plumbing
Nothing But Noodles
True Pizza at Stonecrest
The Tutoring Club
Carolinas HealthCare System
Huntington Learning Center
Jersey Mike's at Stonecrest
Rita’s Italian Ice
Warrier Family Denistry
Brixx at Blakeney
Firebird’s Wood-Fired Grill
Chic-Fil-A at Blakeney
Providence Country Club
Ballantyne Country Club
Beamer Sports Photography
Carolinas HealthCare System (for Head Athletic Trainer)
OrthoCarolina (for Asst. Athletic Trainer)
American Log Homes
- Don’t forget to follow us online (www.cmsathleticzone.com) and on Twitter (@AKsportsinfo) for up-to-date and late breaking info.
GO AK KNIGHTS!!!