MISSION: TO PROVIDE ATHLETIC PROGRAMS THAT PRODUCE A PRIDEFUL EXPERIENCE FOR ALL AND PREPARE STUDENT-ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN LIFE.
AK SPORTS REPORT
(November 19-24, 2018)
Happy Thanksgiving Week! We definitely have so much to be thankful for in our AK community, above all else, the great people that make Ardrey Kell what it is. Best wishes to all Knights on a wonderful holiday with family and loved ones! Last week was a great start to the Winter Sports season, with big victories by our Wrestling and Swim & Dive teams. This week, AK Basketball cranks up their season while AK Football hosts a big 2nd Round State Playoff game. Good luck this week AK! GO KNIGHTS! PROTECT THE CASTLE!
- FOOTBALL: AK Football begins play in the NCHSAA State Playoffs after a 1st Round BYE this past week. The Knights will host Vance out of the I-Meck Conference in the 2nd Round on Black Friday! Hope to see a big Home crowd to support the Knights on Thanksgiving Weekend! Good luck men!
- 11/23 – 2nd Round NCHSAA 4AA State Playoffs @ Home vs. Vance (7:30 PM)
- Gates open 6:15 PM
- $8.00 admission – only NCHSAA state approved passes accepted
- Athletic Boosters is calling on all sports for volunteers to run concession for the Home Football State Playoff Game.20 volunteers are need and the below Sign-Up Genius has been created to fill spots.Please click on the link below!
- MEN’S BASKETBALL: AK Men’s Basketball opens the season @ Home vs. non-conference opponent Weddington on Tuesday before traveling to Berry on Black Friday to take on Providence Day in a showcase matchup in the Charlotte Hoops Challenge. Good luck on having a great start to the season men!
- 11/20 – @ Home vs. Weddington
- JV – 4:30 PM
- Varsity – 7:30 PM
- 11/23 – Charlotte Hoops Challenge @ Berry
- Varsity vs. Providence Day – 8:00 PM
- WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: AK Women’s Basketball also opens their season with non-conference matchups vs. Weddington @ Home and Providence Day in the Charlotte Hoops Challenge on Black Friday. Looking forward to seeing our Lady Knights back on the hardwood in a great first week of action!
- 11/20 – @ Home vs. Weddington
- JV – 3:30 PM
- Varsity – 6:00 PM
- 11/23 – Charlotte Hoops Challenge @ Berry
- Varsity vs. Providence Day – 12:30 PM
- MEN’S & WOMEN’S SWIMMING & DIVE: AK Swim & Dive got their season off to a strong start with dominating performances over Butler on both the Men’s and Women’s sides. Below are top performances from the Aqua Knights, as they enjoy a little layoff from competition over the next couple of weeks and the Thanksgiving Holiday. Great job Knights!
- 200 Medley Relay: Ardrey Kell (Lexie Handlin, Oceane Hangyas, Akshita Patil, Teresa Ivan); 200 Free: Lexie Handlin (AK); 200 IM: Teresa Ivan (AK); 50 Free: Gabriella Spina (AK); 100 Fly: Oceane Hangyas (AK); 100 Free: Teresa Ivan (AK); 500 Free: Emily Brown (AK); 200 Free Relay: Ardrey Kell (Anna Zagora, Kali Cole, Oceane Hangyas, Gabriella Spina); 100 Back: Lexie Handlin (AK); 100 Breast: Oceane Hangyas (AK); 400 Free Relay: Ardrey Kell (Teresa Ivan, Anna Zagora, Gabriella Spina, Lexie Handlin).
- 200 Medley Relay: Ardrey Kell (Josh Fletcher, Jack Valiquette, Jason Lee, Sean Teague); 200 Free: Sean Teague (AK); 200 IM: Jack Valiquette (AK); 50 Free: Leo Tutovani (AK); 100 Fly: Jason Lee (AK); 100 Free: Leo Tutovani (AK); 500 Free: Sean Teague (AK); 200 Free Relay: Ardrey Kell (Leo Tutovani, Will Bippus, Sean Teague, Austin Cummings); 100 Back: Josh Fletcher (AK); 100 Breast: Jack Valiquette (AK); 400 Free Relay: Ardrey Kell (Jason Lee, Austin Cummings, Jack Valiquette, Josh Fletcher).
- NO MEETS SCHEDULED THIS WEEK
- WRESTLING: AK Wrestling opened the season with a huge SoMeck 7 Conference victory over rival Providence 51-24 on the Home mats this past Wednesday. The dual match victory puts the Knights in great position to chase a conference championship this season! This week, the Knights will travel to Salisbury for a non-conference tri-match before Thanksgiving break. Keep it up men!
- 11/20 – Tri-Match @ Salisbury vs. Cuthbertson, Salisbury (6:00 PM)
IMPORTANT NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Fall College Signing Period Ceremony
- AK Athletics held our first signing ceremony of the year this past Wednesday, Nov. 14.Congrats to the following student-athletes on committing to continue their academic and athletic careers at the inter-collegiate level.We are very proud of you Knights!
- Marla Allen (Rowing) – Clemson University
- Emily Barnes (Women’s Lacrosse) – Mercer University
- Joshua Brockman (Track & Field) – N.C. State University
- Luke Carpenter (Baseball) – Dartmouth College
- Jakob Cohn (Baseball) – Williams College
- Jason Lee (Swimming) – University of Connecticut
- Abby Mastrantoni (Diving) – Villanova University
- Lynn Porter (Softball) – Coppin St. University
- Jackson Scott (Baseball) – Spartanburg Methodist College
- Zane Sullivan (Golf) – Belmont Abbey College
- Trey Tujetsch (Baseball) – University of South Carolina
- Zach Weston (Baseball) – UNC-Charlotte
- 2018-2019 Head Coaches Contact Information
- 2018-2019 Season Passes & AK Athletic Boosters Membership
- Exciting news for 2018-2019 Season Passes and AKABC Membership!AK has now gone to digital ticketing for all season passes through Huddle GoFan!Please visit the below link to purchase your Season Passes and Membership for the upcoming year.Never a better deal, as CMS ticket prices have been raised by $1 for all events, so don’t hesitate to capitalize on this great deal!
- Official Ardrey Kell On-line Spirit Wear Store
- 2018-2019 AK Athletic Forms Page
- Be sure to visit the AK Athletic Forms page on our CMSathleticzone web-site to get all the information needed for athletic participation, including the AK on-line athletic pre-participation packet, which is required for all student-athletes.Link to the page is provided below.
- Also, be sure to frequently view our AK Athletics Master Calendar (Google Calendar) embedded on this page.It is always kept up to date and revised with schedule changes as we move through the season.
- Student-Athlete Scholarship Opportunities
- NCHSAA Scholarships:
- ATTN Senior Student-Athletes!The NCHSAA offers many opportunities for different scholarships they award.The application period has begun for many of them.Please visit the below link to the NCHSAA web-site if you are interested in learning more about the scholarships available and to apply.
- Wendy’s High School Heisman – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. Our school winner will represent AK onto the State Level and potentially move on to the Regional and National Level. Please contact your head coach or athletic director if any questions: https://www.wendyshighschoolheisman.com/application/
- Liz Murray Scholarship (sponsored by the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club) – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. The Hood Hargett Breakfast Club awards a monthly scholarship throughout the school year, with the first application deadline September 4th. Once your application is submitted, it will remain in the applicant pool for each month for the remainder of the school year. AK has a strong history of winners…..let’s keep it going! Click link below for more information and contact the athletic director if any questions: https://hoodhargettbreakfastclub.com/liz-murray-scholarship-application/
AK Corporate Partners
A special thank you to our AK Corporate Sponsors. Your support helps AKHS provide our student-athletes with the best interscholastic athletic experience for our deserving student-athletes! Please thank the following area businesses and corporate sponsors for their commitment to Knights Athletics during the 2018-2019 school-year by supporting their businesses.
The White Group – Keller Williams Realty
Carolina’s Center for Oral & Facial Surgery
Mr. Rooter Plumbing
Nothing But Noodles
True Pizza at Stonecrest
The Tutoring Club
Jersey Mike's at Stonecrest
Chili’s at Blakeney
Qdoba on 521
Rita’s Italian Ice
Brixx at Blakeney
Firebird’s Wood-Fired Grill
Chic-Fil-A at Blakeney
Providence Country Club
Ballantyne Country Club
Beamer Sports Photography
Atrium Health (for Head Athletic Trainer)
OrthoCarolina (for Asst. Athletic Trainer)
< >If you want to be an AK Athletic Booster Corporate Partner, please visit the following link for information on supporting our AK Athletic programs:http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1285298-corporate-sponsor-forms
< >Don’t forget to follow us online (www.cmsathleticzone.com/ardreykell) and on Twitter (@AKsportsinfo) for up-to-date and late breaking info.