MISSION: TO PROVIDE ATHLETIC PROGRAMS THAT PRODUCE A PRIDEFUL EXPERIENCE FOR ALL AND PREPARE STUDENT-ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN LIFE.
AK SPORTS REPORT
(December 10-15, 2018)
Looks like in Ballantyne the worst of the Winter storm has missed us. Nonetheless, school will be closed on Monday and athletic schedules are impacted for the week. The most up-to-date and revised athletic schedules for this week are below. If any further changes occur due to inclement weather, be sure to check AK’s CMSathleticzone web-pages and also our social media feeds. Hopefully another great week of Winter Sports action ahead for our Knights as we near the Holiday Break. GO KNIGHTS! PROTECT THE CASTLE!
- October Student-Athletes of the Month
- MALE: Congratulations to Junior Football player Cedric Gray on being named AK Athletics Male Student-Athlete of the Month for October!
- FEMALE: Congratulations to Freshman Women’s Golfer Shea Smith on being named AK Athletics Female Student-Athlete of the Month for October!
- SPECIAL ANNOUNCMENT: Retired Jersey Ceremony of AK Baseball Alum Alex Wood
- At halftime of the Varsity Men’s Basketball game this Friday night vs. Providence, the AK Baseball program and Athletic Department will be honoring former Knights student-athlete and now Major League Baseball player Alex Wood by retiring his number with a special ceremony.Looking forward to a great atmosphere and a special night at AK!
- MEN’S BASKETBALL: AK Men’s Basketball protected Home court this past week with two victories over non-conference rivals Charlotte Catholic and Marvin Ridge. The Knights stand 6-0 on the season and head into the SoMeck 7 Conference opener against rival Providence @ Home on Friday. Before that, AK will host the 2nd Annual Hickory Tavern/Chic-fil-A Blakeney Classic, although it has been shortened to one night due to the school closings on Monday. Keep it going men!
Hickory Tavern/Chic-fil-A Blakeney Classic (Varsity)
- 12/11 – @ Home vs. Charlotte Christian (7:30 PM)
- 12/14 – @ Home vs. Providence
- JV – 4:30 PM
- Varsity – 7:30 PM
- WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: AK Women’s Basketball improved to a perfect 7-0 on the season, with three non-conference victories, including two Home wins over Charlotte Catholic and Marvin Ridge before competing in the LBI Classic over the weekend @ Butler. The Lady Knights have only one opponent on the schedule this week, but it’s a big one against undefeated rival Providence in the SoMeck 7 Conference opener @ Home on Friday night. Let’s get it Lady Knights!
- 12/14 – @ Home vs. Providence
- JV – 3:30 PM
- Varsity – 6:00 PM
- MEN’S & WOMEN’S SWIMMING & DIVE: AK Swim is back in action this week, with the Aqua Knights back in the pool for competition for the first time since the opening week of the season victory over Butler. Due to the school closings on Monday, the meet has been moved to Thursday @ Providence, as AK will take on four SoMeck 7 Conference opponents. On Saturday, the Divers will be back at it as well with a meet in Huntersville. Good luck AK Swim & Dive!
- 12/13 – Swim Meet vs. Berry, Harding, Olympic, West Meck @ Providence (6:00 PM)
- 12/15 – Diving Meet @ Huntersville Aquatics (9:00 AM)
- WRESTLING: AK Wrestling improved to 6-0 on the season in dual team format after impressive victories over South Meck and East Meck in the Home tri-match this past week. The victory over South Meck also moved the Knights record to 3-0 in the SoMeck 7 Conference. AK also competed in the Al Kessie Invitational (Meck. County Tourney) on Friday and Saturday. Top placers for the Knights in their weight class were Ishmael Williams (1st Place – Gold Medal); Anthony Rojas, Matt Herbert, and Cam Parker (2nd Place – Silver Medals). This week, only one match on the slate as the Knights host Harding in a SoMeck 7 dual match on SENIOR NIGHT! Free admission for the match…..hoping for a big crowd to recognize our Seniors and the great success the Knights are having on the mats so far this year!
- 12/12 – Dual Match @ Home vs. Harding (6:30 PM) – SENIOR NIGHT
- INDOOR TRACK: AK Indoor Track did not open competition last week due to the inclement weather over the weekend, but hopefully will get a chance to get going this week with two opportunities to compete. Stay warm by going fast Knights!
- 12/12 – Polar Bear Meet @ Providence (3:30 PM)
- 12/15 – Marvin Ridge Invitational OR JDL Fast Track Meet
IMPORTANT NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Congratulations to AK Baseball Head Coach, Hal Bagwell
- Coach Bagwell has been named 2018 Region 6 Head Coach of the Year by the North Carolina Baseball Coaches Association.Congrats to Coach Bagwell on this well-deserved honor after leading the Knights to the NCHSAA 4A West Regional Title and a State Runner-up finish!
- Congratulations to AK Volleyball Head Coach, Zoe Bell
- Coach Bell has been named a U.S. Marine Corps / American Volleyball Coaches Association National High School Coach of the Year!She will be recognized at the National Convention awards banquet on December 13th in Minneapolis, MN before coaching Team East in the Under Armour All-American game on December 14th.Congratulations to Coach Bell on this amazing and well-deserved accomplishment.AK is proud of you!
- 2018-2019 Head Coaches Contact Information
- 2018-2019 Season Passes & AK Athletic Boosters Membership
- Exciting news for 2018-2019 Season Passes and AKABC Membership!AK has now gone to digital ticketing for all season passes through Huddle GoFan!Please visit the below link to purchase your Season Passes and Membership for the upcoming year.Never a better deal, as CMS ticket prices have been raised by $1 for all events, so don’t hesitate to capitalize on this great deal!
- Official Ardrey Kell On-line Spirit Wear Store
- 2018-2019 AK Athletic Forms Page
- Be sure to visit the AK Athletic Forms page on our CMSathleticzone web-site to get all the information needed for athletic participation, including the AK on-line athletic pre-participation packet, which is required for all student-athletes.Link to the page is provided below.
- Also, be sure to frequently view our AK Athletics Master Calendar (Google Calendar) embedded on this page.It is always kept up to date and revised with schedule changes as we move through the season.
- Student-Athlete Scholarship Opportunities
- AK Athletic Boosters Student-Athlete Scholarships:
- The Ardrey Kell High School Athletic Booster Club (AKABC) will award ten (10) $1,000 scholarships in May 2019.Applications will be available to Seniors in early 2019.The due date for the scholarship application in TBD (likely March 2019).If you are interested in being notified when the applications process begins, please complete the below Google form to be added to the AKABC Scholarship Committee distribution list:
- These scholarships will be awarded to AKHS Senior student-athletes based on “Excellence in Academics”, “Excellence and Leadership in Athletics” and “Contributions to the AKHS Student-Athlete Community.”These scholarships will assist AKHS student-athletes in paying to attend a 2-year or 4-year college in the Fall of 2019.
- Please note:
- You or a family member must be an active 2018-2019 AKABC member to be considered by the AKABC Scholarship Selection Committee.It is NOT too late to join and memberships start at $40 per year!
- Each scholarship is paid directly to the recipient’s college or university in the Fall of 2019.Students who receive full scholarship are not eligible.
- NCHSAA Scholarships:
- ATTN Senior Student-Athletes!The NCHSAA offers many opportunities for different scholarships they award.The application period has begun for many of them.Please visit the below link to the NCHSAA web-site if you are interested in learning more about the scholarships available and to apply.
- Wendy’s High School Heisman – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. Our school winner will represent AK onto the State Level and potentially move on to the Regional and National Level. Please contact your head coach or athletic director if any questions: https://www.wendyshighschoolheisman.com/application/
- Liz Murray Scholarship (sponsored by the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club) – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. The Hood Hargett Breakfast Club awards a monthly scholarship throughout the school year, with the first application deadline September 4th. Once your application is submitted, it will remain in the applicant pool for each month for the remainder of the school year. AK has a strong history of winners…..let’s keep it going! Click link below for more information and contact the athletic director if any questions: https://hoodhargettbreakfastclub.com/liz-murray-scholarship-application/
AK Corporate Partners
A special thank you to our AK Corporate Sponsors. Your support helps AKHS provide our student-athletes with the best interscholastic athletic experience for our deserving student-athletes! Please thank the following area businesses and corporate sponsors for their commitment to Knights Athletics during the 2018-2019 school-year by supporting their businesses.
The White Group – Keller Williams Realty
Carolina’s Center for Oral & Facial Surgery
Mr. Rooter Plumbing
Nothing But Noodles
True Pizza at Stonecrest
The Tutoring Club
Jersey Mike's at Stonecrest
Chili’s at Blakeney
Qdoba on 521
Rita’s Italian Ice
Brixx at Blakeney
Firebird’s Wood-Fired Grill
Chic-Fil-A at Blakeney
Providence Country Club
Ballantyne Country Club
Beamer Sports Photography
Atrium Health (for Head Athletic Trainer)
OrthoCarolina (for Asst. Athletic Trainer)
< >If you want to be an AK Athletic Booster Corporate Partner, please visit the following link for information on supporting our AK Athletic programs:http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1285298-corporate-sponsor-forms
< >Don’t forget to follow us online (www.cmsathleticzone.com/ardreykell) and on Twitter (@AKsportsinfo) for up-to-date and late breaking info.