MISSION: TO PROVIDE ATHLETIC PROGRAMS THAT PRODUCE A PRIDEFUL EXPERIENCE FOR ALL AND PREPARE STUDENT-ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN LIFE.
AK SPORTS REPORT
(Holiday Break Edition – 2018-2019)
It is very hard to believe, but only two school days left in the 2018 calendar year! As we reflect back on another memorable year of AK Athletics, it is important to thank all the stakeholders in our great community that make Ardrey Kell what it is. From our awesome AK Athletic Booster Club, to our coaching staff, administration, parents, community partners and, most importantly, our student-athletes, we are able to provide first class athletic programs that produce great pride in our school community. With that, we want to wish all of AK Knight Nation a wonderful Holiday Break with family and loved ones and best wishes on a Happy New Year! Below is our Holiday Edition of the AK Sports Report……..next one sent out will be the first of 2019! Have a great break and good luck to our Winter Sports teams that will still be competing. GO KNIGHTS! PROTECT THE CASTLE!
- November Student-Athletes of the Month
- Male: Congratulations to Junior Men’s Basketball player Luke Stankavage on being named AK Athletics Male Student-Athlete of the Month for November!
- Female: Congratulations to Sophomore Women’s Cross Country runner Jenna Thornton on being named AK Athletics Female Student-Athlete of the Month for November!
- MEN’S BASKETBALL: AK Men’s Basketball dropped their first game of the year to a tough Charlotte Christian team in the weather shortened Hickory Tavern/Chic-fil-A Blakeney Classic. However, the Knights bounced back to open up SoMeck 7 Conference play with a big Home victory over rival Providence. This week, the Knights hit the road for a conference match-up before the break and then will compete in the Hoodie’s House Invitational against some great national level competition. Best of luck men!
- 12/18 – @ West Meck
- JV – 4:30 PM
- Varsity – 7:30 PM
Hoodie’s House Invitational (Varsity) @ Rocky River
- 12/27 – Day 1 vs. Long Island Lutheran – NY (6:00 PM)
- 12/28 – Day 2 vs. TBD (6:00 PM)
- 12/29 – Day 3 vs. TBD (Time TBD)
- WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: AK Women’s Basketball dropped their first game of the season in the SoMeck 7 Conference opener to Providence on Friday night. The Lady Knights look to bounce back and even their conference record on the road at West Meck before the break. During the break, the Lady Knights have a busy schedule with two holiday classic events against strong competition from Charlotte and South Carolina. Good luck ladies!
Queen City Holiday Classic (Varsity) @ Northside Christian Academy
- 12/21 – Day 1 vs. West Charlotte (5:00 PM)
- 12/22 – Day 2 vs. Mallard Creek (5:00 PM)
South Meck New Year’s Classic (Varsity) @ South Meck
- 12/27 – Day 1 vs. Clover, SC (5:00 PM)
- 12/28 – Day 2 vs. Vance (6:30 PM)
- MEN’S & WOMEN’S SWIMMING & DIVE: AK Swim & Dive returned to action in their second swim meet of the year with dominating wins over SoMeck 7 Conference opponents Berry, Harding, Olympic and West Meck. Congrats to the teams and these event winners:
- Women’s Event Winners: Lexie Handlin, Oceane Hangyas, Gabriella Spina, Kali Cole, Akshita Patil, Anna Zagora, Emily Brown, Taylyn Adams
- Men’s Event Winners: Josh Fletcher, Jack Valiquette, Jason Lee, Leo Tutovani, Adrien Buchoux, Austin Cummings, Will Bippus
- A special congrats to the AK Swimmers of the Meet:Courtney Parrish and Ethan Slick
- The teams return to competition this week as AK hosts on Monday night vs. East Meck and Independence.Good luck Aqua Knights!
- 12/17 – Swim Meet vs. East Meck, Independence @ Providence (6:00 PM)
- WRESTLING: AK Wrestling defeated Harding on a great SENIOR NIGHT to improve to a perfect 7-0 in dual team competition, including 4-0 in the SoMeck 7 Conference. The Knights will have a busy couple of weeks over the holiday break after they take on Berry in conference action, as they will compete in two great Charlotte area tournaments. Keep competing hard on the mats men!
- 12/19 – Dual Match @ Berry (6:30 PM)
- 12/21 – Day 1 E.B. Memorial Clash @ Mallard Creek (6:00 PM)
- 12/22 – Day 2 E.B. Memorial Clash @ Mallard Creek (9:00 AM)
- 12/27 – Day 1 Holy Angels Invitational @ Bojangles Coliseum (9:00 AM)
- 12/28 – Day 2 Holy Angels Invitational @ Bojangles Coliseum (9:00 AM)
- INDOOR TRACK: AK Indoor Track opened their season with some of our Knight runners competing in the NCRunners Holiday Invitational @ the JDL Fast Track in Winston-Salem over the weekend. The schedule will pick up after the holiday break, as many look to post State qualifying performances in the New Year!
IMPORTANT NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- 2018-2019 Head Coaches Contact Information
- 2018-2019 Season Passes & AK Athletic Boosters Membership
- Exciting news for 2018-2019 Season Passes and AKABC Membership!AK has now gone to digital ticketing for all season passes through Huddle GoFan!Please visit the below link to purchase your Season Passes and Membership for the upcoming year.Never a better deal, as CMS ticket prices have been raised by $1 for all events, so don’t hesitate to capitalize on this great deal!
- Official Ardrey Kell On-line Spirit Wear Store
- 2018-2019 AK Athletic Forms Page
- Be sure to visit the AK Athletic Forms page on our CMSathleticzone web-site to get all the information needed for athletic participation, including the AK on-line athletic pre-participation packet, which is required for all student-athletes.Link to the page is provided below.
- Also, be sure to frequently view our AK Athletics Master Calendar (Google Calendar) embedded on this page.It is always kept up to date and revised with schedule changes as we move through the season.
- Student-Athlete Scholarship Opportunities
- AK Athletic Boosters Student-Athlete Scholarships:
- The Ardrey Kell High School Athletic Booster Club (AKABC) will award ten (10) $1,000 scholarships in May 2019.Applications will be available to Seniors in early 2019.The due date for the scholarship application in TBD (likely March 2019).If you are interested in being notified when the applications process begins, please complete the below Google form to be added to the AKABC Scholarship Committee distribution list:
- These scholarships will be awarded to AKHS Senior student-athletes based on “Excellence in Academics”, “Excellence and Leadership in Athletics” and “Contributions to the AKHS Student-Athlete Community.”These scholarships will assist AKHS student-athletes in paying to attend a 2-year or 4-year college in the Fall of 2019.
- Please note:
- You or a family member must be an active 2018-2019 AKABC member to be considered by the AKABC Scholarship Selection Committee.It is NOT too late to join and memberships start at $40 per year!
- Each scholarship is paid directly to the recipient’s college or university in the Fall of 2019.Students who receive full scholarship are not eligible.
- NCHSAA Scholarships:
- ATTN Senior Student-Athletes!The NCHSAA offers many opportunities for different scholarships they award.The application period has begun for many of them.Please visit the below link to the NCHSAA web-site if you are interested in learning more about the scholarships available and to apply.
- Wendy’s High School Heisman – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. Our school winner will represent AK onto the State Level and potentially move on to the Regional and National Level. Please contact your head coach or athletic director if any questions: https://www.wendyshighschoolheisman.com/application/
- Liz Murray Scholarship (sponsored by the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club) – ATTN Senior student-athletes, link provided below to apply. The Hood Hargett Breakfast Club awards a monthly scholarship throughout the school year, with the first application deadline September 4th. Once your application is submitted, it will remain in the applicant pool for each month for the remainder of the school year. AK has a strong history of winners…..let’s keep it going! Click link below for more information and contact the athletic director if any questions: https://hoodhargettbreakfastclub.com/liz-murray-scholarship-application/
AK Corporate Partners
A special thank you to our AK Corporate Sponsors. Your support helps AKHS provide our student-athletes with the best interscholastic athletic experience for our deserving student-athletes! Please thank the following area businesses and corporate sponsors for their commitment to Knights Athletics during the 2018-2019 school-year by supporting their businesses.
The White Group – Keller Williams Realty
Carolina’s Center for Oral & Facial Surgery
Shake Shack at Blakeney
Mr. Rooter Plumbing
Nothing But Noodles
True Pizza at Stonecrest
The Tutoring Club
Jersey Mike's at Stonecrest
Chili’s at Blakeney
Qdoba on 521
Rita’s Italian Ice
Brixx at Blakeney
Firebird’s Wood-Fired Grill
Chic-Fil-A at Blakeney
Providence Country Club
Ballantyne Country Club
Beamer Sports Photography
Atrium Health (for Head Athletic Trainer)
OrthoCarolina (for Asst. Athletic Trainer)
< >If you want to be an AK Athletic Booster Corporate Partner, please visit the following link for information on supporting our AK Athletic programs:http://www.cmsathleticzone.com/page/show/1285298-corporate-sponsor-forms
< >Don’t forget to follow us online (www.cmsathleticzone.com/ardreykell) and on Twitter (@AKsportsinfo) for up-to-date and late breaking info.